Main > The Armoury

Helmet Question

<< < (3/8) > >>

Ian:
Sir Patrick, great helms and bascinets co-exist.  The bigger issue though is that the great helm sees less and less use in the field as the century goes on.  The Pembridge Helm would likely be a tournament helm, not a foot combat helm.  Great helms may have been used for the initial cavalry charge mid century, but there's a good chance the bascinet underneath is what saw the majority of the fighting after the great helm was discarded.

Depending on how far in to the 14th you're delving, you may want to forget a great helm and focus on an open-faced bascinet.

Sir Matthew:
I second Sir Ian's sage advice. Klappvisor Bascinet would be your best bet as a visored field Bascinet, but I think most were likely worn without face protection to enhance visibility. That's just my opinion, though...

Sir Patrick:
Thank you all for your advice. I think I'll start looking at klapvisors!

Ian:
For A Crecy impression an open faced Bascinet is probably the most appropriate.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-02-12, 21:48:02 ---Sir William, I loved that series!  If you haven't already checked it out, Cornwell recently added another chapter called 1356 about Poitiers.

--- End quote ---

I have it and read it a couple of times...felt a little rushed to me.  Still, Cornwell's at the top of his game so it was a good read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version