Main > The Armoury

Helmet Question

<< < (8/8)

Sir Douglas:
Aye, welcome to the forum! :)

Sir William:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-02-19, 20:25:59 ---Somewhere I read that those Cornwell novels are popular, and if I recall in the depiction of Crecy the knights are wearing visors on their helms... not that a fiction novel has anything to do with a historical discussion... except that his depiction of how those visored helms were used seemed particularly spot on to me. Worth reading for that at least.
Scott

--- End quote ---

I'm a big Cornwell fan and wondered at how accurate his depiction of arms, armor and tactics for that period were.  As the largely uninformed reader (not with the 14th C yet) I wasn't sure, but it all read well.

He does make numerous references to 'ringmail coats' that seem different from a hauberk; I got the impression it was a leather coat with rings sewn/attached on (if only because he makes much of the leather backing being wet and rank from repeated use etc) and most everyone seemed to wear (or wanted to) long leather boots...but each one of his books, including the Sharpe series, has been a rollicking good read.  If you check in the Library section, you'll find some reviews and discussion of some of the books of his I've read.

Ian:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-02-19, 20:25:59 ---Ian and I bump into each other online a sometimes as our tastes and views on armor are similar, and he once invited me here. I thought although that was a while back that I'd come see what's up over here.

--- End quote ---

Hey Scott!  Glad you came by to check us out!

Don Jorge:
Welcome Scott! I followed some of your stuff on AA too! These guys are great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version