Main > The Armoury

Helmet Question

<< < (7/8) > >>

Sir Patrick:
Yes I did, and I feel a little silly for not checking the dates. I've been doing this long enough to know better ;D. That is a really cool helm and I don't believe I've ever seen a reproduction of that particular style. Thanks for posting it!

scott2978:
There are surviving examples of the international style (ie: conical) visored bascinets from as early as 1360, and the predominantly German klapvisor predates that by at least a decade (though there is plenty of evidence of English using them as well).

With a new impression, your first question should always be "How historical do I want this to be?". Your answer will be based on circumstances, like whether you intend it for living history, actual fighting or just renfaire use, and your available budget. But once this difficult choice is made, everything else should fall into place. If you decide that you're OK stretching history a bit, it is my opinion that due to the fact that period art, effigies, rolls and brasses are so unreliable as a means of 100% positive identification of what was and was not at any one particular point in time and geography, that you should still be OK to stretch the limits by about 10 years either direction. But perhaps I misspoje when I said your first concern should be how historical you want to be. After all, you'll get far more satisfaction out of wearing what you want than being "perfectly uninteresting" to yourself.

Scott

Sir William:
Hi Scott, welcome to the forums; I remember you from the AA.

scott2978:
Not to hijack the thread, but thanks! I hope I made a good impression there :)

Ian and I bump into each other online a sometimes as our tastes and views on armor are similar, and he once invited me here. I thought although that was a while back that I'd come see what's up over here.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and back to the helmets!

Somewhere I read that those Cornwell novels are popular, and if I recall in the depiction of Crecy the knights are wearing visors on their helms... not that a fiction novel has anything to do with a historical discussion... except that his depiction of how those visored helms were used seemed particularly spot on to me. Worth reading for that at least.

Scott

Scott

Sir Patrick:
Hail and welcome to the Forum, Scott!  Thanks for the helmet advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version