Main > The Armoury

Helmet Question

(1/8) > >>

Sir Patrick:
My kit is pushing further into the mid-14th century than my sugarloaf will allow. At this point I'm guessing the armour us somewhere around 1340ish, so I want to try and stay within that decade (unless I'm off the mark). Sooo...do I go with a Pembridge great helm at this point?  Seems like a bassinet will be too far in the future. Also, coat of plates and short surcoat?

Sir Douglas:
Bascinets would have been around at this time, though I think things like the hundskull visors came later. They seem to have evolved from the cervelliere, so by this time, some of them were still rounded and not as pointy as later bascinets.

Here's an image from 1335:

And this one, from the Luttrell Psalter, is circa 1340. He even has what looks like a visored great helm for wear over the bascinet:

I think the Pembridge-style is actually the later of the two helms, though it may have been contemporary. I'm not sure about that.

Sir William:
I was going to say 'Pembridge ftw' but I think I will await our 14th C Mafiosi brethren to chime in; I've always had a thing for the Pembridge style helm.

Don Jorge:
As far as I know the Pembridge helm is dated at 1370...where a sugarloaf helm would probably be 1330...bascinet's definitely were around in 1340 but it was a Klappvisor as opposed to a Houndskull.

Sir Patrick:
I know Sir Richard Pembridge's helm dates from the 1370s, but wasn't the Black Prince's helm the same type?  If yes, he would have worn his at Crecy in 1346. FWW, I'm leaning toward a Crecy impression.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version