Main > The Armoury

Helmet Question

<< < (2/8) > >>

Sir Douglas:
The thing about Pembridge's and the Black Prince's helms that I wonder is: were they made at a later date as funerary helms, or were they something they actually wore throughout their career? If they were actually used, it might be reasonable to say that the helms would have dated earlier than the 1370s.

Sir William:
Ahhh...Crecy.  Sir Patrick, have you ever read the Archer Series, by Bernard Cornwell?  Set squarely in the timeframe of Crecy, it details the rise of a young English archer in Edward III's army.  A great read, Cornwell has a way of depicting the horrors of war in such a way as to be able to almost smell the filth and the blood, to almost see the bodies writhing in pain from being hammered, pierced, slashed or dismembered by all manner of weaponry.  I went on a tangent again; apologies.

As for the Pembridge helm, we know that it didn't come after 1370; as you'd stated, TBP's helm is much like it, if more ornate.  Probably safe to say that you could get away with wearing one if that was your desire.

Sir Patrick:
Sir William, I loved that series!  If you haven't already checked it out, Cornwell recently added another chapter called 1356 about Poitiers.

Forgot to clarify in my OP:  I was referring to visored bassinets like a houndskull with a "pig faced"-style visor. That's too much into the time frame of kits like Sirs Nathan and Ian. To pull that off, I'd need a total overhaul.

Sir Brian:
IMHO pinpointing a specific great helm style within a twenty year span is certainly plausible. Most especially during the wild and wonky transitional armor periods of the mid-14th century. I'd go with the Pembridge and claim 'trend setter' status!  ;)

Oh and I'm checking out that series for sure! :)

Sir Patrick:
Isn't this the same style helm. It's Sir Hans Reiter's and dates to 1350. The aventail was a later addition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version