Main > The Armoury

My Armor kit - Historical Fiction?

<< < (4/14) > >>

scott2978:
I always try real hard not to be an armor snob, though the years of obsession with historical accuracy get in my way sometimes. I must say it's refreshing to see so many like minds here.

About your harness, I have to say it looks so functional and elegant that it could be forklifted directly into Game of Thrones with no changes at all. It may not be historical, but there are plenty of "historical" harnesses that don't look half as good.

If you really want to be historical, and would rather do armor than civilian, join the late 14th century. The journey of learning that I experienced in such far flung aspects as finger loop braids, milk glue and how feudalism evolved into late medieval politics and the impact that had on warfare and thus armor while making a historical 14th century harness was so rewarding that my life will never be the same.

Plus, it would be a crying shame to split up that harness. It's totally obvious that a lot of care, sweat and money went into it.

Scott

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-02-18, 02:11:00 ---muahahhaha one of us, one of us. dude, next to your kit i would feel like a hobo lol i think it's awesome. i really do. not 100% historical fashion for DOK but 100% welcome in the order!!!

--- End quote ---

100% agreed.

Sir Martyn:
Thanks, all - and appreciate the hint, Scott. 

I was leaning toward late 14th or early 15th cent. in any case.

Sir Martyn:
So, just to continue after a pause of reflection/research and after so much great input (thanks all), wanted to come back to get more views. 

Agreed that late 14th century to early or mid-15th century is looking the most attractive.  Interested most in armor with either great helm or a visored bascinet if earlier, but also really like the armet from the later period, given that seems to be more 15th century. 

Perhaps just getting older and maybe this is an impossible hidgepodge of periods, but the idea of a slightly less heavy harness, perhaps transitional, splinted armor laced to arming points and with maile at the exposed joints, is appealing.  Hoping to avoid chain chauses and prefer fingered gauntet to "mitten" if at all possible.

Want to hear other opinions, but I find myself drawn to the 14th centry clothing (more hoods and tunics) more than 15th centuey (i.e., doublets) - but you could get away with a hood or cotehardie in early 15th, right?  Were surcoats still worn at all by the 15th? 

Also, what about blackened armor?  Historically accurate?  I was thinking I had read that blueing with oil was done in the period. 

In the end, want to first and foremost be accurate but also hoping to nail down a time period/location that could give me some flexibility on style (i.e., France employed Italian blacksmiths, Czechs producing armor for Holy Roman Empire, etc).  Thanks all.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2014-05-05, 21:11:13 ---Agreed that late 14th century to early or mid-15th century is looking the most attractive.  Interested most in armor with either great helm or a visored bascinet if earlier, but also really like the armet from the later period, given that seems to be more 15th century. 

--- End quote ---

Generic Helm Guidelines:
Great Helm
[*]Early 14th, worn over cervelliere
[*]Mid 14th - worn over rounded open-faced bascinet with aventail, probably not worn during foot combat
[/list]
Bascinet
[*]open faced varieties appropriate through the entire 14th century
[*]klappvisor - mid 14th into later 14th with flat or hundsgugel shaped visor (note klappvisor refers to the hinge mechanism, not the visor style), popular in Holy Roman Empire (German)
[*]houndksull side pivoting visor - Later 14th century into 15th century
[/list]
Armet - Mid to late 15th century

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2014-05-05, 21:11:13 ---Perhaps just getting older and maybe this is an impossible hidgepodge of periods, but the idea of a slightly less heavy harness, perhaps transitional, splinted armor laced to arming points and with maile at the exposed joints, is appealing.  Hoping to avoid chain chauses and prefer fingered gauntet to "mitten" if at all possible.

--- End quote ---

If you wear greaves, with plate knees and splinted cuisses, then a coat of plates, and splinted arms, you could easily pull off mid 14th century.  You also can go for plate arms with splinted cuisses (thighs) as was very common.  Style of arm harness will have a lot to do with locale. 
gauntlets at this point in time would be "Wisby Style" finger gauntlets
later in the 14th you'd transition to hourglass style finger gauntlets

No mittens in the 14th, these would go with an armet in the 15th century.

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2014-05-05, 21:11:13 ---Want to hear other opinions, but I find myself drawn to the 14th centry clothing (more hoods and tunics) more than 15th centuey (i.e., doublets) - but you could get away with a hood or cotehardie in early 15th, right?  Were surcoats still worn at all by the 15th? 

--- End quote ---

tight cotehardie generally mid 14th
gives way to doublets and gowns in the later 14th
cotehardie out of fashion by 15th
surcoats over armor go out of fashion around Agincourt (1415) but I'm willing to bet older knights still wore them

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2014-05-05, 21:11:13 ---Also, what about blackened armor?  Historically accurate?  I was thinking I had read that blueing with oil was done in the period. 

--- End quote ---

dunno

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2014-05-05, 21:11:13 ---In the end, want to first and foremost be accurate but also hoping to nail down a time period/location that could give me some flexibility on style (i.e., France employed Italian blacksmiths, Czechs producing armor for Holy Roman Empire, etc).  Thanks all.

--- End quote ---

Understand that knights were very driven by fashion, and as such wouldn't likely vary wildly in style from one knight to another within a specific region, within reason.  Sounds like most of your preferences lead to the mid 14th century, please see this and let me know what most appeals to you:

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version