Main > The Armoury

My Armor kit - Historical Fiction?

<< < (5/14) > >>

Sir Martyn:
A lot to digest here - thanks for your feedback & tips, Sir Ian.  Doubtless I will have follow-up queries :)

Sir Edward:

Ian covered it very well.

For practical/comfort reasons, I'll definitely be the first to discourage people from getting mail chausses, unless they specifically want to do 13th century, and do it right. It takes me 20 minutes to put them on, and they take a bit of work to make "comfortable" (in quotes, because that's a relative scale). While I came up with my own way of attaching them, the historical information we have seems to indicate that they were likely bound at the waist, and did not use any sort of pourpoint or other suspension, so I'm not far off in how I'm doing it, I don't think.

Mitten gauntlets started to disappear at the beginning of the 14th, along with the otherwise full-mail harness.

The mid 14th gives you a lot of flexibility with splinted armor, coats of plates, Wisby-style gauntlets, and a rapidly growing widespread use of plate armor.

Sir James A:
Blackened armor I know was period for some of the later era "almain rivet" armor - cheap munitions gear made to fit a wide variety of shapes and sizes, with no real finishing, and left "black from the forge".. not cleaned or polished.

The Black Prince's armor in paintings is subject to debate, something about pigment changing colors from silver to black, and some other things I didn't understand.

They had the knowledge and ability to make blackened armor, but I don't know of much extant that is verified as blackened in period. There's a painted sallet that I'm not sure of provenance on, and also a black/gold early style helmet that has maille hanging from the lower edge that isn't thought to be period, so the whole thing is suspect to me.

It looks awesome though!

Mike W.:
I know the Mac bible has some evidence of blackened maille.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-05-07, 20:07:48 ---I know the Mac bible has some evidence of blackened maille.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-05-06, 20:12:21 ---...armor in paintings is subject to debate, something about pigment changing colors from silver to black.

--- End quote ---

A lot of medieval manuscripts used silver leafing to depict armor/swords... over time as the silver tarnishes it turns black.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version