Main > The Armoury

Scale Armor

<< < (3/9) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-01-25, 23:05:28 ---Tempered steel for under $200 would be extremely rare at best. Aluminum, maybe, it's soft and light weight, and if it's covered, it's not a glaring issue. The mail fauld I wore at DoK was actually stainless. Nobody seemed to notice, or at least, no one said anything or even asked.

--- End quote ---

My whole haubergeon is stainless, as is my aventail.  Being blackened it looks like regular mild steel, but I didn't want to deal with maille maintenance.  I hate working on maille :)

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I am going the living history route. Rather go that way than go SCA being less into fighting more into reenacting. I did see some coat of plates on these eastern european armorers sites at a fairly decent price. Problem would be the shipping. Though in all honesty I want a 13th century one rather than a visby one.

Ian:
What's a 13c coat of plates?  I was under the impression that the CoP was not a thing until early to mid 14c.  I'm not aware of any effigies that depict anything other than just maille defense for the torso in the 13c 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-01-26, 00:04:58 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-01-25, 23:05:28 ---Tempered steel for under $200 would be extremely rare at best. Aluminum, maybe, it's soft and light weight, and if it's covered, it's not a glaring issue. The mail fauld I wore at DoK was actually stainless. Nobody seemed to notice, or at least, no one said anything or even asked.

--- End quote ---

My whole haubergeon is stainless, as is my aventail.  Being blackened it looks like regular mild steel, but I didn't want to deal with maille maintenance.  I hate working on maille :)

--- End quote ---

Amen Brother!!

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-01-26, 14:46:42 ---What's a 13c coat of plates?  I was under the impression that the CoP was not a thing until early to mid 14c.  I'm not aware of any effigies that depict anything other than just maille defense for the torso in the 13c 

--- End quote ---

Same question. Wisby/Visby was mid 14th century where coat of plates was common. I don't know what a 13th Cent coat of plates would be, if it existed at all; that's a solid 50+ years before it was common if you're talking 1299 as 13th Cent; early or mid 13th Cent, I don't think it would be plausible unless something for the upper upper crust of royalty; certainly not for a knight or common soldier.

Sir Ulrich:
I watched this series called "Weapons that made Britain" and they said during the 1250s there was a sort of coat of plates that was made for knights mostly, they didnt overlap like the Visby Plates but they were relatively similar to them in type. It was smaller and typically worn on the inside of the surcoat or over the maille, as seen here: http://www.arador.com/articles/stmaurice.html
Where to get something like that I dont know, I dont even see European outfitters offering stuff like that, guess the only way would be custom built.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version