Main > The Armoury

Scale Armor

<< < (4/9) > >>

Ian:
Nice find Sir Ulrich, here's another example I just came across, German, Late 13th C, known as the Sleeping Guard.  I would almost call these a 'Surcoat of Plates' haha

Here's a thread on someone reproducing something similar:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26423&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Sir Ulrich:
That actually doesnt look like it would be that hard to make. Just need a seamstress to make me a durable surcoat and I could probably cut polish drill and peen the plates onto the surcoat myself with the use of a hammer. Theres no overlapping either which makes it even easier. Just need a source for iron plate.

Sir James A:
That's pretty interesting. Always fun to learn something new!

Sir Wolf:
hey i have one of those. i just never put it together.shell is done, plates are cut and punched.
i think that the plates may indeed be vertical. and that they are overlapped. i am wondering though that each plate may indeed have a curve to them.  thats why i stopped making mine. i got all over analytical on it and it went on the back burner. I may jsut bring it out of retirement if I can get my shopped cleaned up. lol. they sell a pattern you can buy for the surcoat/coat of plates part to make it easier. i just used heavy duck cloth from wal mart since this was an if it project. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medieval-Military-Garments-S-XL-Period-Patterns-Sewing-Pattern-102-SCA-LARP-/360494098362?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D290840012504%26ps%3D54 like this period patterns 102 has the surcoat

Sir William:
I remember Lloyd Clark over on AA talking about making an armored surcoat once...this is probably what he had in mind.  The material would probably need to be duck canvas, something durable enough that could stand the weight of the plates w/out losing its own rigidity.  Do you think there might have been those using a leather base?

I like the idea of a curved plate, Sir Wolf...I imagine it would've been more comfortable to wear against the body than flat, unyielding plate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version