Main > The Armoury

Scale Armor

(1/9) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Does anyone got a clue where to get some? I been looking all around and all I really want is a scale vest to put over my hauberk to increase my chest protection also cause it looks cool to me. Not sure how historical it could be but I did read most knights in the late 13th early 14th had additional protection on their chest over the maille. Coat of plates is too expensive and I'd HAVE to get it customized to do that also seems heavier and I think it's kinda dull looking in all honesty so I was thinking scale would be good to put over it, as my one friend Robert Coleman did a similar thing, cept he used stainless steel spoons and made it himself, I actually want regular steel so it can get a patina, preferably thin tempered steel to reduce weight.

Thorsteinn:
http://www.polarbearforge.com/lamellar.htm

Polar Bear Forge can help you out.

When & where is your persona again?

Sir Ulrich:
My persona is a late 13th early 14th century Teutonic knight. I dont know where to get a coat of plates for under 200 bucks, otherwise I would get one. Keep in mind I'm on a budget because I spent too much on this stuff, but once I sell my old stuff I should have the money by then. I dont think it's out of place for a crusader to get scale or lamellar armor in that area as they were used by the byzantines and they could of easily bought some of them off of them.

Sir James A:
Coat of plates can be had for really cheap if you keep an eye out. I think I paid $100 for mine?

Sir William:
I paid $200 for the one I got last year, which I subsequently sold to Sir Edward; Ulrich, keep your eyes open.  Also, you might be more interested in a CoP kit, rather than buying one outright.  With the kit, you get all the plates cut and shaped to your specs- it is up to you to get ahold of whatever fabric or leather you want, and riveting the plates in place- I do believe these kits come with all the necessary hardware.  Worth looking into.

More importantly, are you going for the lamellar look or the Byzantine/Roman scale look?  For lamellar you'd be looking for D-shaped plates, for the scale, they'd look more like little thumbs.

The Ringlord makes individual scales that you can lace into a hauberk or textile based shirt:  http://theringlord.com/cart/shopDisplayCategories.asp?id=184&cat=Scalemail+Supplies

Worth a shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version