Main > The Armoury

Chausses arrived

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I'm getting custom ones from badass garb along with a gambeson and padded coif. Not sure if I should get them with feet or not. I think without feet it would be more comfortable and easier to put on but my chausses go down and cover my feet does that mean I need padding on the feet as well?
Nevermind I decided to get them with just the top of the foot being padded so I can easily lace them on with my maille chausses. This should work out for me because it will be custom sized, sure it may cost more but it's better than ordering something that wont fit me and I'll end up not using.

Sir William:
You shouldn't need padding on your feet unless you plan on going barefoot- that is, w/out shoes or boots- otherwise they'll serve to pad your feet from the weight of the sabot area of the chausses.  You might even sew the sabot area onto a favorite pair of boots if you were so inclined.  It'll save from having to relace it every time you go to wear them as the laces will wear out from walking on top of them (if you lace them under foot).

Let me know how the padded garments work from you from badass garb as I'll order from them as well if they're good to go.

Sir James A:
I second not worrying about any foot padding. I haven't seen any historically, but I'm a later-era armor guy. The mail over the feet can't be more than a pound or two at most.

If you have shoes with lugs / tread on the bottom, and run the lacing between it, so that it isn't directly contacting the ground, it should last longer - of course, we're talking $2 lacing, so it's not a big deal, but it should be more comfortable too, since you won't be stepping on laces all day long.

Sir William:
Good point, Sir James.  I was thinking of my Viking Leathercrafts 12th C shoe with the leather heel, no lug or vibram.  Lug soles would render my point moot.

Sir Ulrich:
I am buying a Cap a Pie set of arming clothes from there. Everywhere will be covered other than my face and feet. Gonna cost me 400 bucks but it's custom made and should work for me. All custom sized in heavyweight linen with cotton batting and mid weight linen inside. Not sure if thats a good price but I cant really order overseas and I assume if I did I would pay the same amount anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version