Main > The Armoury

Chausses arrived

(1/5) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Problem is I have NO clue how to wear them. I was expecting some kind of stocking but they fit my legs just fine when I held them up to them. I am just unsure on how to put them on, maybe I will just lace them to the padded chausses I am getting. Any advice on how to put them on?

Sir Edward:

Yep, zig-zag a leather lace around and under the foot, and up the back of the leg. That should be all you need.

Sir Ulrich:
I was expecting a kind of stocking but this is a whole other ball game trying to put these on. I am considering returning them because I literally have NO clue how to put them on. I guess they changed their type of chausses cause I been looking all over online for ways to put these on and I cant find it. Most are stocking types that are prolly MUCH easier to put on and require less lacing.

What sort of lacing should I use? Would leather be sufficient and do I have to sew leather to the chausses? I got latigo leather tie which could prolly work, when I tried using this cheap indian made suede leather tie to tie my hauberks arms in place it snapped but this latigo leather is the hard stuff thats durable as hell. I dont have my padded chausses yet but lacing is easy to adjust so it shouldnt be too hard.

Sir Edward:

I'd just run leather laces to close the seam. You can also cut out some of the material if it's too big, with a set of heavy-duty wire cutters. If you want, you can size it so that you can get your foot in and out, leave it laced together, and treat it like a set of stockings.

Sir James A:
The closed-back chausses are a different option. If you talk to IceFalcon, I'm sure he'll exchange it for you if you want. I called to ask him before I ordered my chausses, and he asked if I wanted open back or closed back ("stocking" style).

The open-back chausses like that are just an earlier style, before they covered the leg the entire way around in later years.

Once the lacing is done, try to have a lot of excess; that way you don't have to unlace it completely to get them off, and you can tuck the excess in the back of the padded chausses. They'll be pretty quick to put on like that; not quite as quick as the full-wrap style, but not vastly longer either.

The top part of mine was a belt loop, that was attached. It looks like the "square" bit at the top of yours should just be looped around the top of the belt, then laced down - at least the way they're made. Most SCA guys probably just throw on a regular belt and call it a day; that's IceFalcon's primary market, so it makes sense it would be built for that.

However, for us - on mine, I took off the belt loop portion, chopped it down to semi-straight, and kept the mail for other projects. Then I put a leather strip across the top, and added holes so I can point it just like I do my plate legs:

and how they work with the c-belt:

(plate legs just for sake of comparison, and because the camera phone did TERRIBLE)

You'll very likely need to trim down the part that covers the feet; make sure you have on your boots you'll be wearing when doing that. Cutting it a ring or two higher than the ground will keep it from damaging any hard surfaces (like hardwood floors and/or tile); as Sir Edward said, lace it down to keep it from flopping.

If you have Viking Leather boots with the lugged soles, you can pass the lacing between the lugs, and it should last longer since you aren't walking on it directly. If you do, you can lace it in parallel, instead of zig-zag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version