Main > The Round Table

Brian Price / Chivalry Bookshelf / Revival controversy

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-02-22, 08:08:40 ---BTW am I the only one to notice that the behavior Mr Price is showing and the ideals held up in the (very good) Book Of The Tournament that he wrote are just a wee bit dissimilar?

--- End quote ---

I think that's one of the more shocking aspects of this whole thing. I doubt anyone expected someone who takes chivalry so seriously, and has written about it so well, to be capable of doing these things. I mean, my initial gut reaction, upon hearing that someone takes chivalry and knighthood seriously, is to assume that their honor is above reproach. Who expects someone to be so two-faced?

But I think there are a lot of people like this in the world. People who are narcissistic sociopaths, in that they are completely self-centered, and everyone else are just pawns, and yet they understand the concepts of the social structures and hierarchies that they participate in and play their part convincingly. I have a feeling a lot of political (and perhaps some religious) leaders are like this as well. They don't necessarily believe in the ideology that they convincingly espouse, at least not as far as how it pertains to them, and find ways of justifying any behavior that advances their personal goals.

It's a sort of anti-chivalry, I think.

Sir Rodney:
Mr. Christian Henry Tobler has cross-posted on myArmoury.  Ivan is correct in that this is not dissimilar to watching a car crash or train wreck.

On a related note, I have a solid lead on a USED copy of Fighting with the German Longsword. :)

Thorsteinn:
If anyone here knows anyone in the Schola Saint George, please have them read page 4 of that thread.

Sir William:
I shouldn't be surprised but in a way I am.  Anyone who espouses chivalric values would take this entire series to heart.  What's really a shame is that this man's customers came to him because they felt safe in dealing with him, he came highly recommended- that he should prove to be the Knave isn't bad only in the sense of doing business, but bad for the community-at-large.  This guy seems to have years in the Game...and as long as it took him to build up this reputation look how quickly it tumbled.

That none of the parties involved have taken it personal (I believe Richard Blackmoore may've come closest as far as I read) and gone and beaten the man senseless goes to show the level of THEIR individual fortitude...because it sounds like this guy needs it.  BAD.

Thing about it is, it happens more often than I'd thought, years ago.  I've seen these same types of complaints against swordmarkers- there was a guy on SBG who'd promised these semi-custom katanas and life happened and he couldn't deliver and there was a similar outcry.  It is currently happening again, this time on the Euro side of things- I haven't checked in a few months but last time I did, there were a goodly number of orders still outstanding and the delivery date is over a year out if I'm not mistaken.

It almost seems like there should be a medievally-themed BBB to handle this sort of thing.  In any case, my thoughts are with all of those involved, every last one of them because if there's one thing I CAN understand- it is non-delivery of items already paid for in full.  I'm having this same issue, albeit on a much smaller scale than some, and I'm really struggling with keeping things civil, because of the usual requisites, but it is not easy, especially when a job that should've taken a month at most is now nearing the one year mark and I've not had any comms in over a month, despite assurances that I'd hear within ONE WEEK.

This hobby is usually a joy for me but every now and again, it seems more like a curse.

Sir Edward:

As far as I know, there's still talk of potential legal action on the part of the authors. This could go very badly for Mr Price, since there could be jail-time, not to mention owed remuneration, plus damages, seizure of unsold copies, and returning of publishing rights to the authors.

Let us hope that justice is served.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version