Main > The Armoury

Gambeson Quest.

<< < (4/14) > >>

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-12-30, 13:41:38 --- I may eventually pick one of those up to use in WMA class at a later date but probably not for wearing under the haubergeon because I suspect they use synthetic fill material for the padding which doesn’t breath well at all.
--- End quote ---

If I may, I don't recommend the MRL gambeson if you want to use it for Western Martial Arts. I used to own one, and it is fine for costume, but it's literally about as protective as a heavy sweater. It is also cut like a t-shirt, and since the material doesn't stretch like a t-shirt, it heavily restricts your movement. It is very hot due to the nylon fibers. You're better off with a cheap $50 fencing jacket than one of those, as it will at least protect you against knicks and burrs. I also used to use mine under my plate harness, and it is close to worthless for that purpose; I couldn't lift my arms high enough to take any of the upper guards.

While I haven't seen the Steel Mastery one in person, I suspect it will be a much better one for WMA usage. It looks like it will have some problems, but not as bad as the MRL one did for me.

Sir Ulrich:
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5478-warriors-medieval-gambeson.aspx
Thats the gambeson I got, I would've gotten the GDFB one but it was too large for me and this one seems to be almost the same. I don't recommend the MRL ones as they're basically useless for combat and more for costuming. Thats why I bought a new gambeson to replace my robin hood one.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2010-12-30, 21:47:40 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-12-30, 13:41:38 --- I may eventually pick one of those up to use in WMA class at a later date but probably not for wearing under the haubergeon because I suspect they use synthetic fill material for the padding which doesn’t breath well at all.
--- End quote ---

If I may, I don't recommend the MRL gambeson if you want to use it for Western Martial Arts. I used to own one, and it is fine for costume, but it's literally about as protective as a heavy sweater. It is also cut like a t-shirt, and since the material doesn't stretch like a t-shirt, it heavily restricts your movement. It is very hot due to the nylon fibers. You're better off with a cheap $50 fencing jacket than one of those, as it will at least protect you against knicks and burrs. I also used to use mine under my plate harness, and it is close to worthless for that purpose; I couldn't lift my arms high enough to take any of the upper guards.

While I haven't seen the Steel Mastery one in person, I suspect it will be a much better one for WMA usage. It looks like it will have some problems, but not as bad as the MRL one did for me.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the insight Bill! I will will have to be content for the time being with my KOH gambeson for WMA, (it just looks like hell from the armor stains)  ;)

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich the Wicked on 2010-12-30, 22:14:14 ---http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5478-warriors-medieval-gambeson.aspx
Thats the gambeson I got, I would've gotten the GDFB one but it was too large for me and this one seems to be almost the same. I don't recommend the MRL ones as they're basically useless for combat and more for costuming. Thats why I bought a new gambeson to replace my robin hood one.

--- End quote ---

Sir Ulrich
Thanks for the link! That is certainly reasonable and looks like it would be adequate padding, but according to their sizing even their XXL would be a little tight and too short in the sleeves! Too bad they don’t offer them in a 3XL or otherwise known as quasi-behemoth size. ;)

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---Too bad they don’t offer them in a 3XL or otherwise known as quasi-behemoth size.
--- End quote ---

Wow, you must be ripped, Sir Brian! ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-01-01, 13:35:19 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich the Wicked on 2010-12-30, 22:14:14 ---http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5478-warriors-medieval-gambeson.aspx

--- End quote ---

Sir Ulrich
Thanks for the link! That is certainly reasonable and looks like it would be adequate padding, but according to their sizing even their XXL would be a little tight and too short in the sleeves! Too bad they don’t offer them in a 3XL or otherwise known as quasi-behemoth size. ;)

--- End quote ---

I have a similar problem ... they don't offer them with a 40" waist and a 36" chest. Apparently I'm built upside-down. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version