Main > The Armoury

Gambeson Quest.

<< < (3/14) > >>

Sir William:
Yea, the shoulders take a beating in a kit; I thought of putting a thick handtowel across my shoulders to alleviate that issue; I layer up for the moment (thick undershirt, reg shirt then gambeson) and it seems to work well, I guess because I'm not wearing a cuirass, only a few plate pieces and a haubergeon.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2010-12-29, 19:56:37 ---Sir Edward, what else could you possibly need?  lol

--- End quote ---

Well, I had gotten the plate arms/legs from MercTailer, and I have a pourpoint, and the MRL bascinet with aventail. But I still need the coat of plates, a set of Wisby gauntlets, and I need to make a new surcoat/jupon for it as well, and figure out how I want to point the arms and add the besegews. So lots to do before it's wearable.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2010-12-29, 21:26:24 ---Yea, the shoulders take a beating in a kit; I thought of putting a thick handtowel across my shoulders to alleviate that issue; I layer up for the moment (thick undershirt, reg shirt then gambeson) and it seems to work well, I guess because I'm not wearing a cuirass, only a few plate pieces and a haubergeon.

--- End quote ---

I've started putting bits of blue camp-foam inside the arming doublet over the top of my shoulders so the straps rest on that. It helps a lot. Not exactly period, but an easy hack when the straps just aren't sitting right (historically, if you could afford it, everything would be shaped to you and wouldn't have that problem).

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2010-12-29, 19:52:39 ---I have the gambeson I picked up off of the MRL site for $99, and thus far, just with test fitting, it's done well. I modified it by splitting the front completely so it isn't a pullover, and adding some grommets for points. I have a size large, and am also picking up a medium in the next few weeks since I think it might fit better. You're welcome to try them on if you stop by.

--- End quote ---

Thank you James for the kind offer! I may eventually pick one of those up to use in WMA class at a later date but probably not for wearing under the haubergeon because I suspect they use synthetic fill material for the padding which doesn’t breath well at all. I have a similarly made gambeson (the discontinued KOH one) which as the same problem. I heard that linen breaths very well and I suppose I will just have to save up for one.  :-\

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2010-12-29, 21:26:24 ---Yea, the shoulders take a beating in a kit; I thought of putting a thick handtowel across my shoulders to alleviate that issue; I layer up for the moment (thick undershirt, reg shirt then gambeson) and it seems to work well, I guess because I'm not wearing a cuirass, only a few plate pieces and a haubergeon.

--- End quote ---

I’ve found my pourpoint provides just enough additional padding on top of my shoulders beneath even my marginally padded wrestling jacket from revival clothing.  ;)

Sir Wolf:
i often hesitate on ordering over seas. dunno why but i still do.
my arming jacket has padding in the chest, back and shoulders. i need to make a aketon so as to use for earlier time periods than 15thc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version