Main > The Library

Season of the witch

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

Wow. OK, I won't keep my hopes up. I still plan to see it soon, maybe this coming weekend if I can find the time.

Sir Brian:
I went and watched this Saturday.

Ok the first ten minutes will make you cringe at all the historical “liberties” they took namely:

~ Spanning several battles during the crusades in the Middle East around 1330’s to 1350’s?
~ Then compounding that by mixing Teutonic knights with Templers?
~ Finally on a more religious aspect they based much of the plot around this mystical book of Solomon which they read out of to combat the “witch” when it wasn’t anything more than a vague reference to the “Keys of Solomon” books which was two volumes and much later in the middle ages or early renaissance period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_of_Solomon

After I chose not to be so nitpicky, (it is Hollywood after all) I actually enjoyed the movie and the story, giving less emphasis on the historical aspects and more of the entertainment and noble intentions they seemed to have accomplished well enough. I certainly intend to add it to the DVD library.  :)

Our group was in unanimous agreement that their gambesons looked really great!

Sir Andrew:
Well you should've known better than to go in looking for indiscrepancies, Sir Brian!
I'm wanting to see it just out of a kill-an -afternoon sort of thing.....

Sir William:
I think you will always be disappointed if you look to Hollywood to be faithful to historicity...it just doesn't sell to the masses.  We have an innate interest in that sort of thing because it calls to us from our blood...but the average Joe isn't going to the movies for a history lesson, so why should we?

I think I'm going to enjoy this for what it is...but I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD...I mean, that's why we bought the screens, you know?  I'm not a fan of movie theaters in general, unless it is with a group of friends.

Sir Matthew:
I've been told that I will probably like it, so long as I can forget the historical inaccuracies and just enjoy it as entertainment. A freind of mine who saw it this weekend said picture Pirates of the Carribean crossed with Supernatural and set in the Crusading Era. All stuff I like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version