Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (17/46) > >>

Sir Wolf:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-05-22, 02:04:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-05-21, 12:04:09 ---
*OMG Sir Wolf I’m starting to understand why you do what you do! … It is SOOO much fun! Mmuuhaahahaha!*  ;D

--- End quote ---

Isn't it? Sir Wolf and I have been very good at spending each other's money over the years this way... lol. :)

Updates:  Supposedly I'll get the riveted mail by wednesday. I also handed off some fabric to Marie, toward making the jupon/surcoat for this. But I'll probably still make a simpler one to use in the meantime before she makes it.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the helmet. I'll probably play with that MRL bascinet/aventail thing I have and see if I can get it to cooperate with my glasses a little better. But I'm also tempted to look into one of the klappvisors from GDFB. So we'll see. I'll have to decide on some gauntlets at some point too.

--- End quote ---

boy have we!!!

Sir Edward:
I think I'm going to want to go with hourglass gauntlets for this kit, after some thought. I see armstreet is selling some on ebay. These look pretty cool. Thoughts?

(sca, gauntlets)
http://cgi.ebay.com/FINGER-GAUNTLETS-HOURGLASSES-GLOVES-MEDIEVAL-ARMOR-SCA-/230590426465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b042ad61

However they look cheaper on the website:

http://armstreet.com/store/armor/finger-gauntlets-hourglasses-gloves-medieval-armor-sca

Sir Brian:
They look good however I must caution you about Armstreet products which Sir Andrew can verify! Although they will be solidly constructed and look good there will be some noticeable unfinished aspects that you'll have to take care of. Chief among them will be some seriously deadly burrs. You may find the strapping substandard as well, at least Sir Andrew was not satisfied with his on the armor he purchased from them. Oh and there will be a little bit of a delay in getting them because they are in the Ukraine and you'll pay an outrageous price for the shipping. Otherwise they are a fantastic company that have some really ingenious methods of making armor but I shop them with a slightly jaundiced eye.  ;)

Sir James A:
It's a shame ArmorAndCastings isn't taking armor orders for a while. They had some nice offerings at good prices, based on the pictures and description at least.

I don't normally recommend an overseas armorer, due to the differences in primary languages and confusing terms in armoring and measurements, but with gauntlets, you're probably just providing a tracing of your hand and wrist circumference. If I order from someone overseas (and not in Europe), it would definitely be Marek. Here's his gauntlet selection:

http://www.armorymarek.com/gauntlets

G11, G14, G16 and G31 are hourglass style gauntlets, but you could easily spend 10 or 15 minutes drooling over the whole page. G24 is one of my favorites.

He doesn't list prices on the site but they are reasonable in comparison to other handmade offerings that are made specifically to your measurements (i.e., not GDFB). I have a price list from him that is about a year old that I can send you, or you could contact him and he'll send you the current prices for everything on his site. He doesn't work in stainless, and when I asked about the type of steel (mild, spring, other) his response was "1.5mm iron" - which I gather to be mild steel, especially based on the price. He usually takes a few days to respond, but has always replied the couple times I asked questions. If I can sell my other car, I will be getting some drooly bits from him. :)

Sir Edward:
Well, I think I'll put the gaunts off a little longer. I don't want to pick up another pair of gaunts hastily, since at $350-$600 a pop, it gets expensive if you get into the "ooh, I like those better" thing after you make a purchase. I do have a pair of really crappy hourglass gaunts I can use in the meantime.

The haubergeon should be here today. And I spent the evening last night making a really simple jupon/surcoat to wear over it (though it probably needs some more adjusting to fit right).

Progress. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version