Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

(1/46) > >>

Sir Edward:
OK, so I'm getting really tempted now to also step into the mid to late 14th C in addition to the other kits I have. I really like some of the armor in this period, except for those god-awful houndskull bascinets. So I'd look to other helms of the period.

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions here. Mainly, I want to make sure I do a reasonable job of pointing or strapping or whatever. I noticed that a lot of the appropriate gear from Mercenary's Tailor gives you the choice between buckled straps, or holes for pointing. Pointing is probably more period correct, but I'm not opposed to having pieces that are strapped to each other for suspension either.

To get started, it looks like it might be fairly easy to get a set of arms and legs, use the merc's tailor spaulders I already have, and wear it over the mail. With a decent over-tunic, I can probably save getting a new breastplate or brigandine for later. I also already have a small open-faced bascinet with integrated ventail that might work well enough for now (from Museum Replicas).

So one question that comes up already is this-- how should I point the top of the arms? It would be over mail, with sleeves that end right around the elbow. I usually don't wear a full gambeson under this stuff because of all the 85+ degree weather. And I'm not going to wear mail over my arming cotte that I have for the plate armor, simply because it has those voiders on it. :)

Sir Edward:

I do have a set of spaulders already, but this looks pretty interesting too:

14th-15th Century Arms with Integral Spaulders

But of course this would work with the spaulders I have:

14th/15th Century Arms

And a set of legs, though the rondels don't match the style of the above arms:

14th-15th Century Legs

Allan Senefelder:
Ed, I can make you the arms with the rondels if you'd like. I've meant to for ages and just never get around to it ( i've actually made 6 pairs for folks and never remember to take pics ).

Das Bill:
If you don't like the houdskull visor, I recommend going with some sort of klapvisor or round nose one. Here's one that I've always loved from Anshelm:

(bascinets) http://www.anshelmarms.com/bascinets.html

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Allan Senefelder on 2010-07-19, 23:32:54 ---Ed, I can make you the arms with the rondels if you'd like. I've meant to for ages and just never get around to it ( i've actually made 6 pairs for folks and never remember to take pics ).

--- End quote ---

That would be super sweet. I love that look!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version