Main > The Armoury

ABS maille and improving my kit.

<< < (5/9) > >>

Henrik Granlid:
Isn't round rings also the proper road to take for anything pre-14th century pretty much?

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Henrik Granlid on 2015-02-10, 22:12:02 ---Isn't round rings also the proper road to take for anything pre-14th century pretty much?

--- End quote ---

Intergrated/Alternating Round ring and solid ring is the safe road for pre 14th.

Sir Ulrich:
Flat rings historically werent nearly as flat as they are made out to be by modern maille makers, with the exception of wedge riveted. Round ring alternating is the way to go if you want pre 1300s maille. Thats why I am going for this combination rather than the flat ring riveted stuff.

Sir Ulrich:
Welp been a while since updating. I took my measurements and got the right size for it. They asked me if I wanted a separate coif or a integrated. Robert Coleman told me the integrated ones there have issues with turning your head so it stays still. Went with separate cause I plan to cut the avantail down to be square shaped. That seems to of been done as early as 1170 so it's still period for the third crusade era, seems to of been mostly common in Germanic Europe as well. I got the 16 gauge alternating stuff with round ring round riveted. Might be a bit heavy but I hope it works out for me. The flat ring stuff seems a bit... weak. To be blunt I was trying to get as close as I could to this schmid 12th century maille, which Nate took a pic of his and his is 16 gauge round riveted all riveted. I'm going with alternating because I prefer the look of that more. I prefer the round rings to flat. Heres some pics of both the Schmid 12 century maille and Nate's maille and they look pretty similar actually.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2015-02-07, 01:07:17 ---Well he messaged me about shoulder measurement which I am unsure of how to take. He also said at least 48 inches should suit me. My old hauberk was 48 but cause I tailored it it didnt fit right over the gambeson. I think I may ask him to make it 48 maybe 50 cause i'm working out and I dont want it to not fit me afterward.

--- End quote ---

Measure like you would for chest circumference, but go outside of the shoulders.  Best to have someone help you- its important because if the shirt is made to your chest measurements you may never actually be able to wear it as squeezing in your shoulders may cause it to bind and you'll just be stuck.  If your other hauberk was a 48 and you could get in and out of it fine then its a safe number, if you can't find someone to take the actual measurement.  Best if you're wearing your arming clothes before you take measurement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version