Main > The Armoury

ABS maille and improving my kit.

<< < (4/9) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well he messaged me about shoulder measurement which I am unsure of how to take. He also said at least 48 inches should suit me. My old hauberk was 48 but cause I tailored it it didnt fit right over the gambeson. I think I may ask him to make it 48 maybe 50 cause i'm working out and I dont want it to not fit me afterward.

Sir Edward:
Every time I see this thread, I keep thinking it's a thread about mail made from ABS plastic, and feel like I should jump in and say "OMG no!". ;)

I imagine it would be even worse for armor than it is for plumbing. Though it makes for good LEGOs. :)

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward ---I imagine it would be even worse for armor than it is for plumbing.
--- End quote ---

As a former “city desk” order writer for a plumbing wholesaler, I can attest that ABS doesn’t hold a candle to solid core schedule 40 PVC for DWV (drain, waste & vent).

For a new fighter in the SCA, ABS can be an inexpensive way to get armoured as long as it’s properly formed and well disguised.  I made a bunch of killer elbow and knee cops from sheet ABS by heating the blanks in a toaster oven, forming them over steel cops, covering them with suede leather and adding decorative rivets.  (Quality ABS can be purchased in 4’ x 8’ sheets through a plumbing wholesale house.)

Getting back to the original discussion regarding All Best Stuff, I’m really excited to see how this turns out!

Sir Wolf:
all i can think of is abs brakes for some reason

Sir Ulrich:
I asked them about what weight 18 gauge would of been, I do kinda wanna go with 16 cause it just seems like tougher stuff, I was told schmid maille weighed about 30something pounds so obviously 18 gauge flat is a bit on the.. flimsy side if used for larger rings, unless you go for wedge riveted or smaller gauge. To be blunt I dont really like the flat ring round riveted stuff so I'd prefer the round ring stuff. Might have to put up with the extra weight but it's not like I plan to wear anything OVER this maille, thats what my lighter wedge riveted hauberk is for, I plan to use that one for a 14th century kit and this new one for a just maille 12th-13th century outfit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version