"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Want to make a Shield  (Read 8477 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Want to make a Shield
« on: 2014-05-31, 16:20:22 »
For a project to do, I want to make a norman kite shield this summer. I have been looking around the internet but there is not much info on how to make one. I think it would be ok to use for my 12th century kit, But I may be wrong.
Would a Norman kite shield be good for 12th century? and if so what should I buy and how should I go about making it?
If it is not good for 12th century, What type of shield is and how can I make that as well?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: Want to make a Shield
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-31, 16:40:20 »
The How-to: http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shield.asp

I'm pretty sure kites were used all throughout the 12th Century, though I think a lot of later-century kites didn't have the central boss and/or were cut straight along the top instead of being rounded.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-31, 23:11:58 »
+1 on Gaffers site. Made several over the years with that press and all turned out well.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-01, 00:01:36 »
I've made a lot of shields over the years. What's your budget? How historic do you want to get? Purpose of the shield?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-02, 13:49:45 »
For the most historically accurate shield, you will want to use lindenwood/lime wood planks that are glued together, preferably a period glue (cheese glue is very easy to make and a very strong wood glue). The rounded shape is made by how the planks are joined, rather than the whole shield being pressed or steamed. Also, you would want to cover it in leather and edge it with rawhide. However, this can get rather pricey. Gaffer's shields are a great option if you're on a budget. Covering the shield with canvas is an inexpensive alternative to leather and you can usually get a canvas painters' tarp at a harware store for cheap.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-02, 19:06:08 »
If you go the Gaffer route, take your time and make a good press. You can turn out shields for years with it (or turn out blanks you can sell off to fund your kit).
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-02, 19:07:03 »
You could always buy a shield blank from Oakheart armory and then finish it yourself. They only cost about 40 bucks per blank. Then you can do whatever you want with them such as put a rawhide rim on them add high quality handles and paint it however you want. They're already canvas or linen covered so you dont have to worry about the plywood showing. Their shields arent bad just their leatherwork leaves more to be desired which is why I suggest the blanks rather than the finished shield. If you're doing templar for the shield painting is simple too, as thy had a black top that took up 1/3rd or one 1/4th of the shield and the rest was white.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-03, 16:26:59 »
You could always buy a shield blank from Oakheart armory and then finish it yourself. They only cost about 40 bucks per blank. Then you can do whatever you want with them such as put a rawhide rim on them add high quality handles and paint it however you want. They're already canvas or linen covered so you dont have to worry about the plywood showing. Their shields arent bad just their leatherwork leaves more to be desired which is why I suggest the blanks rather than the finished shield. If you're doing templar for the shield painting is simple too, as thy had a black top that took up 1/3rd or one 1/4th of the shield and the rest was white.

I will go with this route. Seems best for now, and more affordable and less time consuming. I think I will still try making a shield this summer though.

I've made a lot of shields over the years. What's your budget? How historic do you want to get? Purpose of the shield?

My budget would Ideally be $100 dollars or less, I want to be as historic as possible, and I want to be able to use the shield for just about anything.

If you go the Gaffer route, take your time and make a good press. You can turn out shields for years with it (or turn out blanks you can sell off to fund your kit).

What is the gaffer route exactly?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-06-03, 19:27:21 »
Yeoldgaffer's an old SBG poster who decided to make his own armor stands, scabbards w/belts, and shields.  He wrote up some really in-depth how-to's if you're interested; Douglas posted the link to his site.

I would also second Oakheart Armory; the last two shields I had commissioned came from them and they're really willing and able to work with you.  Rather than going with a blank, I had them make up two complete shields, with arm straps and neck/guige strap to hang from the back; one was rimmed in steel and painted with my heraldic colors and the other was a Templar one-off (not the beauseant version, white with a red cross) same layout and both shields were around $120 or so when it was all said and done.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-06-04, 01:39:32 »
Yeoldgaffer's an old SBG poster who decided to make his own armor stands, scabbards w/belts, and shields.  He wrote up some really in-depth how-to's if you're interested; Douglas posted the link to his site.

I would also second Oakheart Armory; the last two shields I had commissioned came from them and they're really willing and able to work with you.  Rather than going with a blank, I had them make up two complete shields, with arm straps and neck/guige strap to hang from the back; one was rimmed in steel and painted with my heraldic colors and the other was a Templar one-off (not the beauseant version, white with a red cross) same layout and both shields were around $120 or so when it was all said and done.

So it only comes out to about 60 to have it customized?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-04, 03:25:33 »
I wonder how much is their shipping...Shipping for shield is usually what gets you...I paid 40 dollars for my heater and it is already in need of some minor repairs...but I get it beat weekly...

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-04, 14:59:13 »
ive made a lotta shields. imho if u dont have all the stuff already, just buy one lol. kult of athena or oakheart or something is a good deal

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-04, 18:18:22 »
Yeah if you've got a hundred then I'd go the buy route. Have you posted what you're looking for on the Armor Archive?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

D.Shortt

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-04, 19:27:15 »
Making a shield can be pretty low budget some times. BUT that is really only if you already have the tools needed. If not, The material + tools at the same time can get very pricey.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-04, 19:49:12 »

So it only comes out to about 60 to have it customized?

No, for each shield.  You're only going for one at the moment, right?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”