"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Want to make a Shield  (Read 8560 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Want to make a Shield
« Reply #15 on: 2014-06-04, 22:25:50 »
Yeoldgaffer's an old SBG poster who decided to make his own armor stands, scabbards w/belts, and shields.  He wrote up some really in-depth how-to's if you're interested; Douglas posted the link to his site.

I would also second Oakheart Armory; the last two shields I had commissioned came from them and they're really willing and able to work with you.  Rather than going with a blank, I had them make up two complete shields, with arm straps and neck/guige strap to hang from the back; one was rimmed in steel and painted with my heraldic colors and the other was a Templar one-off (not the beauseant version, white with a red cross) same layout and both shields were around $120 or so when it was all said and done.

So it only comes out to about 60 to have it customized?

No, for each shield.  You're only going for one at the moment, right?

Soon yes.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-06-04, 22:26:48 »
Yeah if you've got a hundred then I'd go the buy route. Have you posted what you're looking for on the Armor Archive?

The Heck is an Armor Archive?

Making a shield can be pretty low budget some times. BUT that is really only if you already have the tools needed. If not, The material + tools at the same time can get very pricey.

I have neither
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-06-05, 16:03:43 »
http://www.armourarchive.com

This is a larger, longer established forum w/a lot more people in a lot of age ranges, but none as young as you are.  Most of them seem to be between the ages of 25 to 55 for the most part; you'll want to keep the more youthful outbursts to a minimum there.  Unless you're on the Political board; but you'll want real thick skin if you plan on bouncing around in there.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #18 on: 2014-06-05, 16:18:24 »
Second that. Best to lurk a while. You can find an answer to just about anything over there if your search-fu is good.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-06-05, 18:42:09 »
http://www.armourarchive.com

This is a larger, longer established forum w/a lot more people in a lot of age ranges, but none as young as you are.  Most of them seem to be between the ages of 25 to 55 for the most part; you'll want to keep the more youthful outbursts to a minimum there.  Unless you're on the Political board; but you'll want real thick skin if you plan on bouncing around in there.

Second that. Best to lurk a while. You can find an answer to just about anything over there if your search-fu is good.

I can remain unseen if I wish. If I do Need to respond or ask a question it shall be asked in a basic manor, without hint of my youthfulness.
My search-fu is very good.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order