"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Safety in armored combat - a note on helmets  (Read 6088 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Safety in armored combat - a note on helmets
« on: 2014-06-03, 15:15:50 »
I'm posting this video here in The Armoury in case people don't see it from our VARF thread. Bear with me for a minute while I talk about the importance of GOOD armor when doing combat. To start with, I broke my nose in harnessfechten. This wasn't because of a cheap helmet. It was somewhere around $350. It is 14 gauge mild steel, well padded, and it's battle worthy. Helmets also protect your face. It's kind of important. Here's why:

You can see where my visor popped down and I got stabbed right through the opening - within seconds. Why? Because a klappvisor has a removable face plate. It was great for taking the visor off after combat, or for getting the helmet snugged down prior to combat. It's also a HUGE safety risk, as I clearly could have lost an eye or had some serious damage done. Don't fool yourself and think "if it fails I'll notice it right away and just say stop". I didn't think that, but I want to make sure no one else does. It truly happens in the proverbial blink of an eye.

If you fight with a klappvisor, or any kind of removable face plate helmet, I HIGHLY suggest you permanently attach the visor by solid rivets. A safety strap goes without saying, and popping a strap or rivet on the rest of the harness isn't usually a major safety aspect - but respect the helmet. It  only takes a second for really bad things to happen.

And to close with something we mention at every demo we do - the purpose of a fight is to walk away - as safely as you can. Don't skimp on safety, and remember how critical a helmet is to your safety. Gauntlets are a close second. If you aren't sure if it's safe to fight in, ask someone who knows, or don't fight in it.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Safety in armored combat - a note on helmets
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-03, 15:41:56 »
Have you considered posting this to MyArmoury or ArmourArchive?
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-03, 19:24:12 »
Sir James, hopefully you'll post this to AA as well.  Who was that you were fencing with? 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-03, 20:56:18 »
Sir James, hopefully you'll post this to AA as well.  Who was that you were fencing with? 

Oh yeah, good point, I will. That was Chris, my nephew. His first day on the field.

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-03, 22:19:42 »
You can definitely see how one of the thrusts knocked the visor open and how quickly it turned bad. I also would recommend posting this to as many boards as possible, hopefully it will save someone else from having something worse happening to them.

If possible could a spring pin be put in to secure the rotating latch from being easily pushed open?? Looking at the front of the helmet on the right side of the latch drill a small hole and tack in a push spring pin?? Just a thought..
« Last Edit: 2014-06-03, 22:23:40 by Sir Jason Simonds »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-04, 01:28:09 »
Posted to ArmourArchive and MyArmoury, feel free to post to other sites if you think it may be of use

edit: Sir Jason, I'm going to fix the dents then retire that helmet from combat. For the new one, the plan is a solid riveted visor that can't even be removed. Less historical in function (but fine in appearance), but I kinda like my nose. I realize I'm rather attached to it.... (rimshot)
« Last Edit: 2014-06-04, 01:30:21 by Sir James A »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-04, 01:49:11 »
youch bro. sorry you got hurt.

i remember when we were fighting with spears. slow motion sorta training even. one friend push his round ended spear at another guys breastplate and it hit good, just reflected upwards and went right to his eye. long story short he's ok, but man it was quick and unforeseen..... literally

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-04, 02:09:37 »
I would make monty python joke, but I am wondering a few things on helmet safety, With helm's for my century's I often find if not fitted right the face of the helm will sometimes lie on my nose, And I realize this could make it easy for someone to smash my helmet into my nose and brake it. How can I prevent that with my type of helm?
Also, who broke your nose?
btw, "Ive had worse!!"
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-06-04, 17:27:16 »
I would make monty python joke, but I am wondering a few things on helmet safety, With helm's for my century's I often find if not fitted right the face of the helm will sometimes lie on my nose, And I realize this could make it easy for someone to smash my helmet into my nose and brake it. How can I prevent that with my type of helm?

Probably not the answer you want, but, one you need to hear. If your nose is that close in the helmet, it's unsafe. You need a different helmet for any serious combat. I have a couple inches of space in front of my nose in that helmet, and none on the sides or rear (padding is maybe 1" thick all around except at face).

btw, "Ive had worse!!"

My nephew Chris is the one I was fighting with. It was his first day on the field too. Complete strangers or great friends doesn't make bones any stronger or weaker. It can happen to anybody on any day.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-06-04, 18:17:00 »
Well at least you have a story with many lessons.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-05, 18:44:55 »

Probably not the answer you want, but, one you need to hear. If your nose is that close in the helmet, it's unsafe. You need a different helmet for any serious combat. I have a couple inches of space in front of my nose in that helmet, and none on the sides or rear (padding is maybe 1" thick all around except at face).

btw, "Ive had worse!!"

My nephew Chris is the one I was fighting with. It was his first day on the field too. Complete strangers or great friends doesn't make bones any stronger or weaker. It can happen to anybody on any day.

He was trained too well.
Also, I guessed as much with my Helm.  I just wanted to know so when I get a new one it will have the extra room needed. 
« Last Edit: 2014-06-05, 18:46:09 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-05, 19:23:07 »
To your continued good health and good luck Sir James of the iron beak.