"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..  (Read 87086 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..
« Reply #75 on: 2014-05-28, 21:55:40 »
For SCA purposes if I a also currect you can sneak a leather gorget under the aventail, which I am guessing is more or less required. But you don't have to worry about that if your not doing SCA
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 2014-05-28, 22:28:08 »
For SCA purposes if I a also currect you can sneak a leather gorget under the aventail, which I am guessing is more or less required. But you don't have to worry about that if your not doing SCA

For SCA purposes you can wear a pink tutu and a helmet with horns while wearing a samurai cuirass and have it all made out of a pickle barrel and be ok as long as you meet the minimum protective requirements :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #77 on: 2014-05-28, 23:30:30 »

For SCA purposes you can wear a pink tutu and a helmet with horns while wearing a samurai cuirass and have it all made out of a pickle barrel and be ok as long as you meet the minimum protective requirements :)

You promised not to reveal details of my new kit until I could post the pics! ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-05-29, 00:52:31 by Sir Edward »
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #78 on: 2014-05-28, 23:52:01 »

Sounds like my kinda party ;)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #79 on: 2014-05-29, 00:24:26 »

But don't even think about entering the list without period footwear!   :o

(New silly rule for us considering the rest of your kit can be as described as above.)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #80 on: 2014-05-29, 00:53:14 »

(New silly rule for us considering the rest of your kit can be as described as above.)

Too many people wearing sneakers, I assume?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #81 on: 2014-05-29, 02:17:04 »

Sir Ian, that sounds like the voice of experience :)
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #82 on: 2014-05-29, 06:44:49 »

Sir Ian makes it sound like us SCA rattan fighters have no historical sense of being with our gear. Most of us like to look good while we pose and bash each other with our bamboo. But for all intensive purposes, he is correct. :) LOL
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #83 on: 2014-05-29, 11:25:57 »
though I think the rondels are dished just a little too much. Slightly more flat, and they would be perfect.

Ed, reached this conclusion myself a while back. In period artwork, they appear to be pretty convex, but it bothered me for a long time that when I actually made them I thought it didn't look right to my eye despite being what period depictions seemed to show ( perhaps the result of seeing a 2D depiction of something in 3D ). I shallowed them out a few years back. I'd be happy to replace them for you, no charge.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #84 on: 2014-05-29, 11:59:09 »
ya you don't need any neck defense, but a pisan/standard mail collar looks pretty awesome. esp if you walk around all day without your helmet w/ aventail

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #85 on: 2014-05-30, 03:59:55 »
though I think the rondels are dished just a little too much. Slightly more flat, and they would be perfect.

Ed, reached this conclusion myself a while back. In period artwork, they appear to be pretty convex, but it bothered me for a long time that when I actually made them I thought it didn't look right to my eye despite being what period depictions seemed to show ( perhaps the result of seeing a 2D depiction of something in 3D ). I shallowed them out a few years back. I'd be happy to replace them for you, no charge.

Al, I can’t remember what year I picked up my rondels from you, but I love them!  I can’t count the number of compliments I’ve received over the years and I always point them in your direction.

I was in an SCA tournament in 2012 and a “hold” was called when my opponent wacked a rondel and sent it flying.  The marshal seemed very concerned until I proved that it was “armour bling” and the fight could continue without it.   ;D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #86 on: 2014-05-30, 04:04:45 »

Yes.  The white shoes, plastic, and nylon were a bit much.  Not to mention the Nike swoosh is not documentable to any SCA period!   ;)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #87 on: 2014-05-30, 04:18:17 »

Yes.  The white shoes, plastic, and nylon were a bit much.  Not to mention the Nike swoosh is not documentable to any SCA period!   ;)

Now when you say period, do you mean period period or look period
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #88 on: 2014-05-30, 05:13:25 »
Now when you say period, do you mean period period or look period

Ha!  :)

I meant any period within the SCA’s huge range of 1,000 years from approximately 600 AD to 1600 AD.  For example, my favorite period is 1350-1375 in southern England / northern France.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #89 on: 2014-05-30, 12:59:53 »

That is a very generous offer, my friend! I'll let you know. Right now they're not really bothering me too much. I might combine that with something else, down the line.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )