Main > The Armoury

Pells and physical training. WAS: Re: Armor stands

<< < (7/9) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-20, 20:55:05 ---Is WMA the same way as HEMA? Also is one more historical than the other?

--- End quote ---

same thing

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-04-20, 21:28:47 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-20, 20:55:05 ---Is WMA the same way as HEMA? Also is one more historical than the other?

--- End quote ---

same thing

--- End quote ---

Right, basically the same thing, with just a minor distinction:

WMA - Western Martial Arts, which is more encompassing, because it can include modern martial arts, such as modern knife throwing, or boxing (the term "Martial Art" often includes associated sports here).

HEMA - Historical European Martial Arts, which is more specific to historical Europe.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-04-21, 13:09:48 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-04-20, 21:28:47 ---

--- End quote ---

same thing

--- End quote ---

Right, basically the same thing, with just a minor distinction:

WMA - Western Martial Arts, which is more encompassing, because it can include modern martial arts, such as modern knife throwing, or boxing (the term "Martial Art" often includes associated sports here).

HEMA - Historical European Martial Arts, which is more specific to historical Europe.

--- End quote ---

HEMA only teaches you how to use a two handed sword right? I want to take WMA because it offers sword and shield, but if HEMA offers that too then I would gladly take that instead.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-21, 19:14:13 ---HEMA only teaches you how to use a two handed sword right? I want to take WMA because it offers sword and shield, but if HEMA offers that too then I would gladly take that instead.

--- End quote ---

No, you're being way too specific. :)

WMA/HEMA are both very broad categories. For instance, both encompass German, French, Italian, English, Spanish martial arts, ranging from unarmed, through all sorts of weapons. They're just a descriptive term for where/when these arts came from.

Getting more specific than that, for instance with the German Liechtenauer system that we do locally, it still covers unarmed, dagger, messer, single-hand sword, sword and buckler, longsword, staff, poleaxe, spear, mounted combat, and more.

For sword and buckler, both the German and Italian schools cover those a great deal. The German arts focus a lot on the longsword as a teaching weapon, but they don't stop there.

Sir Brian:
WMA is a little broader in that it can include bowie knife, knife and tomahawk, etc.
A splinter group which trains with MASHS using the same venue and timeslot, offer some of those more fringe weapon systems. It makes for some interesting 'King of the Hill' matchups on our free-play Sundays when they chose to participate. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version