Main > The Armoury

Pells and physical training. WAS: Re: Armor stands

<< < (9/9)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-21, 21:48:19 ---Hmm... Well then, I might take HEMA, for I am not interested in learning about those modern combat skills, unless airsofting allowed for hand to hand lol.

--- End quote ---

Also, I should point out that HEMA is a subset of WMA. If you're doing HEMA, you're also doing WMA, but the reverse isn't always true. :)

Mike W.:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-21, 21:48:19 ---Hmm... Well then, I might take HEMA, for I am not interested in learning about those modern combat skills, unless airsofting allowed for hand to hand lol.

--- End quote ---

Just saying... Modern combat skills do come in handy when someone tries to knife you. Then again, I'm sure dagger combat skills could work well too.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-04-22, 13:26:21 ---

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-22, 03:16:32 ---Do you think it wise to go to the school first, learn the requirements, then purchase? The reason I said $1000 was because the a HEMA site showed the swords I needed and the equipment. I forget the site, the top of the page showed two men fighting in this gear. Oh, I thought HEMA had schools like fencing schools  ??? Make my own school you, I don't know about schools, but I'm pushing for a chivalry club if that counts lol

--- End quote ---

Yes, most "schools" start out as study-groups, or sword clubs, or something along those lines. There are very few paid, professional schools teaching this, but they do exist. A great example is VAF, where I took formal classes for Liechtenauer arts for about 8 or 9 years.

Almost everyone else starts small, with a couple of friends and a few books, and work through the material. It helps to interact with people who are already doing it, to correct some of the mistakes and bad habits you might pick up, but if you're doing the bulk of the learning yourself, then those interactions can be quick and effective.

And yes, for most activities in general, it's best to see what your local group recommends for equipment, before buying anything. This is harder to do if you're starting the group yourself, of course, but there's a wide range of gear that's usually acceptable in most places.

For starting out as a pure beginner, as Sir Brian mentioned, you'll do really well to start with lacrosse gloves, a 3-weapon fencing mask (they're the tougher version), and some sort of training sword. This will be enough for doing paired drills, and the like. The trainer can be a wooden waster (more period), or perhaps one of the synthetics from Purple Heart, which cost about the same, but are safer for hitting each other. Or you can go super cheap and even more safe, and start with a shinai. However, they're not as good of a teaching weapon in that they lack the weight and feel of a longsword, and don't have a proper crossguard (which is important for certain techniques).

The nice thing is that you can start cheap that way, and then pick out the more expensive gambesons and steel trainers after you start to get a feel for what you're doing.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-04-22, 16:39:37 ---
Makes sense, hopefully this summer I'll meet with one of the local HEMA schools in Philly.

--- End quote ---

Just saying... Modern combat skills do come in handy when someone tries to knife you. Then again, I'm sure dagger combat skills could work well too.

--- End quote ---

I'll just have my third degree black belt father teach me that, he has taught me a thing or two about knife defense.

On the main subject (I must apologize for throwing an off subject topic in here) I personally would do SCA as a sport and a hobby. I would prepare myself physically to be a better combatant and to resemble a true knight on the battle field. I would partake in it as if it were a sport like football or soccer. At the same time I would do it for the scholar/hobby approach. I recognize its not completely necessary, but I take matters like these very seriously. Like how I would choose wool clothes and fabrics over cotton.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version