Main > The Armoury

Pells and physical training. WAS: Re: Armor stands

<< < (6/9) > >>

Lord Chagatai:
Damn autocorrect...pells

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Lord Chagatai on 2014-04-18, 21:25:03 ---I use pills for training but apartment life has squashed that for awhile..

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Lord Chagatai on 2014-04-18, 21:25:22 ---Damn autocorrect...pells

--- End quote ---

Hah! lol :)

scott2978:
When any of the people who profess to be getting a better experience than their counterparts because of this or that reason don their armor and fight to the death on a muddy field in France then I'll be impressed.

Meanwhile, I'll just practice when it's convenient for no better reason than to avoid boredom and feel perfectly justified.

Ian:
You're missing the point Scott.  It's not about living or dying by the sword, or having a better experience than someone else.  It's about athleticism being integral to ANY sport.

It's about HEMA being the only martial art that doesn't seem to universally accept that traditional conditioning and strength training are vitally important to a martial art.  MMA, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners don't live or die by their art.  But they certainly don't eschew the ideals of physical fitness and conditioning as an integral part of their sport.  It's just an observation.  It's just less emphasized in HEMA than I've seen in any other martial art at the competitive level.  The source documents address it and depict lots of scenes of men lifting heavy rocks and conditioning themselves, but these are the images that never seem to get reproduced by modern scholars for some reason, whether literally, or in the weight room.  I don't get it.  And yes, there are of course counterexamples of people who do take it very seriously as the athletic endeavor that it is, but it seems to  be the exception.  I think it would go a long way in getting the sport taken seriously in the mainstream as more than just a scholarly endeavor.

Sure, the guy just doing a martial art purely for fun is a different story, but that's not what I'm talking about here.  This isn't a case of trying to tell people how to have their fun. 

Aiden of Oreland:
Is WMA the same way as HEMA? Also is one more historical than the other?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version