Main > The Armoury

Pells and physical training. WAS: Re: Armor stands

(1/9) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-04-14, 02:17:59 ---I've looked at and for armor stands a few years now, and I don't remember ever seeing a historical one. I saw a few mentions that it would traditionally be in a chest, either for storage or transportation.

--- End quote ---
but they did have dummies to practice on. Or is that a myth? maybe those would have been the start of armor stands.

Mike W.:
Its called a pell. pretty much a stick in the ground that you swing a sword at.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-04-14, 17:20:44 ---Its called a pell. pretty much a stick in the ground that you swing a sword at.

--- End quote ---

I know of pells, I mean more in the lines of hear is a dummy with a bucket head, wooden shield, and wooden sword. Go Tear it apart.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-04-14, 22:26:55 ---
--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-04-14, 17:20:44 ---Its called a pell. pretty much a stick in the ground that you swing a sword at.

--- End quote ---

I know of pells, I mean more in the lines of hear is a dummy with a bucket head, wooden shield, and wooden sword. Go Tear it apart.

--- End quote ---

The only thing I've seen remotely similar is a jousting quintain. As Baron said, most things I've seen refer to a pell that isn't human shaped in any way.

Mike W.:
Roman accounts actually mention recruits attacking the pell with leaden core wooden swords that weighed twice as much as steel gladii

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version