Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

<< < (3/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-18, 14:53:02 ---
That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.

--- End quote ---

I read they may have been ankle length. Then they opened them down the center more to make horse riding more easily done

Mike W.:
Ankle length seems a bit of an exaggeration. The vast majority of soldiers in mail in the Tapestry and other contemporary sources are shown with knee length hauberks with elbow length sleeves and integral coifs.

Sir William:
Ankle length would be a lot of material flopping around while on horseback, beating the poor horse mid-gallop I should think.  That's not to say there was no such thing, but I wouldn't think it a viable option for a mounted knight or man-at-arms.  Seeing as maille wasn't an item that every warrior could afford, especially during the 11th and 12th centuries, I don't know that an infantryman would have such a long hauberk either.

Sir Douglas:
I do seem to recall accounts of ankle length hauberks — was it Harald Hardrada's hauberk "Emma" that was suppose to be that long? I don't remember. — but you know how tough guys like to exaggerate. ;) I'd say somewhere just below the knee would be more reasonable and practical for a long 'berk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version