Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

<< < (4/10) > >>

Sir William:
Hardrada rode to battle, but he did not fight mounted, is that not so?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-02-19, 21:08:23 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-18, 14:53:02 ---
That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.

--- End quote ---

I read they may have been ankle length. Then they opened them down the center more to make horse riding more easily done

--- End quote ---

Are you sure you aren't thinking of surcoats? Early surcoats, particularly crusaders, were down to their ankles. I've not seen hauberks further than roughly knee length, and chausses seem to be the norm.

scott2978:
Not sure how historical you're wanting to shoot for, but pin riveted maille is early medieval, and wedge riveted is late medieval. If you're not as discerning, my opinion is that wedge riveted is smoother and easier on the fabric arming garments and gets stuck and caught less often.

And if you are making a riveted hauberk by hand, you have my admiration.

Scott

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-19, 21:58:26 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-02-19, 21:08:23 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-18, 14:53:02 ---
That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.

--- End quote ---

I read they may have been ankle length. Then they opened them down the center more to make horse riding more easily done

--- End quote ---

Are you sure you aren't thinking of surcoats? Early surcoats, particularly crusaders, were down to their ankles. I've not seen hauberks further than roughly knee length, and chausses seem to be the norm.

--- End quote ---
Nay, I was reading a history book on knights. I have 2 that just say knights on the cover. One I find to bentos source material, tho the other seems to be more for those new on the subject of knights.
The one that is for the newer oddly enough mentioned the ankle length hauberk. But then it did say they made hauberk a shorter. So if it did exist it may have been extremely brief, and in popular

Mike W.:
Does the books cite any sources for that particular statement?
Be wary of books not written by academics, especially books with uncited sources (by cited I mean end notes, not just a bibliography).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version