Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

<< < (2/10) > >>

Nuke:
Yes. Normal knight.

knee-length mail hauberks with elbow-length sleeves, split at front and rear, conical helmets with a nasal bar, and leather or padded cloth greaves. mail stockings to protect their legs and feet. kite-shaped shield (paint decorated) Norman sword. 

Anything I have left out?  I haven't researched the undergarments yet...  Very thick materials I would suspect?..

Sir Nate:
You covered most of it.
The under padding for the main hauberk is called a gambeson.
You'll need one that follows the shape of your hauberk.
Idk were to buy a knee length hauberk, I'm sure one of the knights could aid you with that.
Here this website has a decent selection of gambeson's.
It's also were I bought mine.
http://medievalcollectibles.com/c-12-arming-wear.aspx

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-31, 20:15:37 ---You covered most of it.
The under padding for the main hauberk is called a gambeson.
You'll need one that follows the shape of your hauberk.
Idk were to buy a knee length hauberk, I'm sure one of the knights could aid you with that.
Here this website has a decent selection of gambeson's.
It's also were I bought mine.
http://medievalcollectibles.com/c-12-arming-wear.aspx

--- End quote ---

He can but he should buy a time appropriate gambeson. You can actually go to the links on the forum and explore the different sites. Or you can make your own if you want one that fits perfectly and is sure to be time appropriate! Allbeststuff.com has good quality, cheap, indian made armor maille. The only catch is the shipping. Darksword-armory.com and Albion-Swords has great sword selections that are fine and hardy.

Thorsteinn:
I love me my stainless welded mail from Master Knuut. When I go for a riveted byrnie I'm just going to buy it.

Mike W.:
I believe maille leggings wouldn't be appropriate for the average Norman knight. Only King Harold and Duke William are depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry as wearing maille leggings. Additionally, though gamebsons can be documented to as early as the late 10th century, they didn't become widespread until the 13th century. To be more representative, I'd skip the gambeson and maille leggings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version