Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

(1/10) > >>

Nuke:
Hello everyone,
I'm just getting into chain mail and want to create armor authentic to the period (1000 to 1100 - England).  I was going to create my own riveted chain mail...  What is your opinion on buying the Indian stuff?  to make it will take me thousands of hours and while I might still do that, I have a wife, kids, and many projects here on the farm to do first...  Any other mail out there that is riveted and good quality?  Also I was thinking of going with stainless or galvanized rather than the plain steel (which will end up rusting).  I'm giving up some authenticity for armor that should last my lifetime...
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.
Nuke
PS.  I'm in Colorado if anyone else here is in the area.

Sir James A:
I have riveted stainless, and it's great. The extra cost is worth it to not have to deal with cleaning rust off tiny rings.

I believe earlier periods were wedge riveted rings and not pin riveted. That increases the cost more, but it is a minor detail. All depends on what you're looking for specifically.

IceFalcon here in the US is a great source for stainless mail. Kult of Athena has mail as well, probably stainless; I've only bought mild from them. I believe both still source their mail from India. The shipping is much cheaper since it is already stateside, not to mention faster.

Sir Wolf:
welcome!

Aiden of Oreland:
What kind of kit are you going for? What country?

Sir Nate:
I assume your going for full body maille with a surcoat?
Norman knight or crusader?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version