Main > The Armoury

Heraldic Design

<< < (6/27) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-20, 23:41:51 ---
--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-12-20, 23:31:56 ---All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '92.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Aiden if you are definitely planning on joining the SCA and want to use the heraldry you make with them, I would highly recommend getting it approved with them before painting or sewing it on anything. I imagine it would really suck to spend all that time and/or money on nice heraldic gear only to find that someone else is already using it, or that it doesn't meet SCA standards. ;)

--- End quote ---

This, this, this!

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass in the SCA, just because it's too similar to someone's existing design. Also, when it comes to gear you might use in the SCA, it's best to find out what the local Marshal will permit. This is true of any combat group. It's best to find out what the group will permit, and what they will recommend.

In my case, I registered with the SCA after painting my shield, but it was in the hopes that I could pass it without changes (or only minor tweaks), for the sake of protecting its uniqueness. My priorities were different though, since I don't fight in the SCA.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-12-21, 00:50:23 ---
--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-20, 23:41:51 ---
--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-12-20, 23:31:56 ---All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '92.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Aiden if you are definitely planning on joining the SCA and want to use the heraldry you make with them, I would highly recommend getting it approved with them before painting or sewing it on anything. I imagine it would really suck to spend all that time and/or money on nice heraldic gear only to find that someone else is already using it, or that it doesn't meet SCA standards. ;)

--- End quote ---

This, this, this!

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass in the SCA, just because it's too similar to someone's existing design. Also, when it comes to gear you might use in the SCA, it's best to find out what the local Marshal will permit. This is true of any combat group. It's best to find out what the group will permit, and what they will recommend.

In my case, I registered with the SCA after painting my shield, but it was in the hopes that I could pass it without changes (or only minor tweaks), for the sake of protecting its uniqueness. My priorities were different though, since I don't fight in the SCA.

--- End quote ---

Drats. NOW YOU TELL ME! You know what, I'll make one for now, and if needed to be changed then so be it. Wow that complicates things... But hey, I got years, youth is with me, I got time. I think I will continue with my design and use it as my knightly symbol for when I work toward joining the order. Or should i just use one heraldry for everything based on my local SCA group near Philly. Cuz I live in Ambler/Fort Washington area.

Sir Douglas:
Well, it's up to you, really. I only mentioned it as a heads-up in case you were explicitly planning on using that particular design with the SCA. If you wanted heraldry just to wear at RenFests or to use within our little Modern Chivalry group or just to have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead a making something now. Later on down the line, if it passes in the SCA, great! If not and you have to make a new one, it's no big deal. For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)

Don Jorge:
Yeah I just joined the SCA and I picked out my colors just need to figure out the process of getting heraldry approved and see if what I have planned is okay...it involves lions and emerald green and autumn gold :)

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-21, 04:48:41 ---Well, it's up to you, really. I only mentioned it as a heads-up in case you were explicitly planning on using that particular design with the SCA. If you wanted heraldry just to wear at RenFests or to use within our little Modern Chivalry group or just to have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead a making something now. Later on down the line, if it passes in the SCA, great! If not and you have to make a new one, it's no big deal. For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)

--- End quote ---

Well, its better I know now. I may just get a cheap sheild and cheap fabric to make something for show. Haha, I could quarter when I join my new SCA "family".

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-12-21, 04:52:24 ---Yeah I just joined the SCA and I picked out my colors just need to figure out the process of getting heraldry approved and see if what I have planned is okay...it involves lions and emerald green and autumn gold :)

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a really nice heraldry. You'll have to show me it when you finish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version