Main > The Armoury

Heraldic Design

<< < (5/27) > >>

Sir Douglas:
Ditto on the quartered surcoats/tabards. They look quite sharp. I kind of like the far left shields in the second and third rows, too, and the quartered shield. I agree that the quartered shield just needs something in the last quadrant, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about balance as well. ;)

Sir Edward:

The quartering does look great, but as a counter-point, historically this was frequently done for "marshaling", which was the joining of two sets of heraldry. This may or may not matter to you.

I sometimes try to steer people away from quartering just because so many people do it, and there are so many other cool things that you can do with heraldry out there. But in the end, it's what speaks to you that really matters.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-12-20, 19:05:14 ---
The quartering does look great, but as a counter-point, historically this was frequently done for "marshaling", which was the joining of two sets of heraldry. This may or may not matter to you.

I sometimes try to steer people away from quartering just because so many people do it, and there are so many other cool things that you can do with heraldry out there. But in the end, it's what speaks to you that really matters.

--- End quote ---

No I totally agree, thats why on my sheilds I have only one quarter design.  That last deer on the very bottom shield I made myself. I do really ljke the surcoat that is quartered. But I like the surcoat and the sheild with maybe the rampant hart with a chevron. The beach leaves I like, but may make them aspen leaves or something else. If I could have a 3rd color what should it be? Brown? Black? Oh ya and would you guys have a recomended shield I could buy to paint and have it capable for SCA. So when I get done a year or two of hema 'that I will join some time in the next 2). And the combination of meanings in my heraldic designs blend nicely. For I am Sir Aiden the Benevolent. Plus the deer and green and white/silver is related to my lennon family crest. The chevrons are related to a few other crests in my routes. I should have a final decision on thing by the end of summer.

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-12-20, 16:09:26 ---Yep, great start! I'm partial to the quartered variants as well. Either the green w/white cross (either style), or the one with the deer and leaf - I'd just put a leaf in the second quartering, or some other charge, to "balance" it - but I'm OCD with things balancing out horizontally and vertically like that.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-20, 17:54:35 ---Ditto on the quartered surcoats/tabards. They look quite sharp. I kind of like the far left shields in the second and third rows, too, and the quartered shield. I agree that the quartered shield just needs something in the last quadrant, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about balance as well. ;)

--- End quote ---

Haha sry about that, I didn't mean to not put that other beach leaf in. Well thank you all for liking it so much! That just can raise a man's spirit (yet I am not a men yet legally). Again, this is all scrambled together after months of creating new ideas onto the page.

Thorsteinn:
All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '87.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-12-20, 23:31:56 ---All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '92.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Aiden if you are definitely planning on joining the SCA and want to use the heraldry you make with them, I would highly recommend getting it approved with them before painting or sewing it on anything. I imagine it would really suck to spend all that time and/or money on nice heraldic gear only to find that someone else is already using it, or that it doesn't meet SCA standards. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version