Main > The Armoury

Heraldic Design

<< < (27/27)

Sir Edward:

I could see the surcoat acting as an identifier like that. However, historically this wasn't always the case. There are examples of the surcoat tying into the heraldry well, and other cases of the surcoat looking nothing like the heraldry. The shield itself was the identifier on the field originally, before plate armor took over, and the heraldry moved to banners and pennons, and sometimes horse barding as well.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2015-04-10, 13:42:04 ---
I could see the surcoat acting as an identifier like that. However, historically this wasn't always the case. There are examples of the surcoat tying into the heraldry well, and other cases of the surcoat looking nothing like the heraldry. The shield itself was the identifier on the field originally, before plate armor took over, and the heraldry moved to banners and pennons, and sometimes horse barding as well.

--- End quote ---

I remember seeing crests that had nothing to do with the coat of arms, either. Definitely some diversity amongst the heraldic devices, even for an individual.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-04-10, 22:05:50 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2015-04-10, 13:42:04 ---

--- End quote ---

I remember seeing crests that had nothing to do with the coat of arms, either. Definitely some diversity amongst the heraldic devices, even for an individual.

--- End quote ---

That's great to know! I had a great surcoat design in mind, was just a bit hesitant is all. I plan to do a party style surcoat like I posted earlier, except the right side will have vert chevrons instead of vert formee crosses. I think that'll look rather handsome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version