Main > The Armoury

Heraldic Design

<< < (26/27) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2015-04-09, 13:07:20 ---I think it looks great with the chevron! That's something that's often overlooked by people, is that the earlier heraldry tended to be more geometric and simple. And, as an added bonus, it's easier to paint on a shield. ;)
--- End quote ---

Both of these things, very much.

I like it!

Sir Patrick:
I like it (but I'm prone to chevrons)!

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2015-04-09, 13:07:20 ---
I think it looks great with the chevron! That's something that's often overlooked by people, is that the earlier heraldry tended to be more geometric and simple. And, as an added bonus, it's easier to paint on a shield. ;)

For the ermine, are you thinking an ermine field (lots of little ermines, some potentially intersecting the chevron), or just a few individual ermines in specific places around the chevron? It's possible these may make it look a lot more "busy", but sometimes you can be surprised.

On the SCA front, it's hard to say. Sometimes simple gets through just because most people tend to start with something complicated. Avoiding dragons and swords helps a lot here. :)

--- End quote ---

For the ermine I was considering maybe three on the left side of the chevron and 3 on the right, with 4 underneath. But I agree, the ermine may make it too busy. It would look better to have an ermine field without the chevron, but I like chevrons too much to do that.

I may tweak the green more, I can't seem to find a vert that satisfies me. That won't take very long though.

Something I have been looking to figure out is how to match the surcoat, helms, and other accessories to the heraldry. For a surcoat, I could easily make multiple ones with different designs. Such as having one for a tournament and one for the battlefield. Plus it'd vary based on the centuries I do. My only concern is holding up to the traditional heraldry and surcoat styles. Making the two properly match. Old painting and pictures usually just show a single colored surcoat. Sometimes even having the shield itself on the surcoat. The helm may take a few tries.

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2015-04-09, 14:08:39 ---As with my own, Page Aiden.  I like it- congratulations!  As you can see, I'm horrible at photography, but you get the point.  In case you wondered, I had my shield done at oakheartarmory.com - good price, too.

--- End quote ---

I have an Oakheart armory shield also! I have the last heraldry I designed painted on it (without a finish incase I decided to change it). Great shield make. Though the edges seem to get really beat up, perhaps it's be better if I got a leather or steel trim. But where to get thoughts I can't recall.

Alightly off topic... Do you think the concept of having your heraldry on a surcoat was the equivalence to our dog tags today?

Sir Brian:
Very astute reason and choice. I changed my COA as well when I found out my original was wrong. At least you didn't invest too much time and money into surcoats and shield painting your old COA! ;)

Sir William:
Dog tags?  Yes, something like that- a means to be able to discern friend from foe.  Which is why modern armies use uniforms, with identifying patches, and dog tags.  Heralds would be able to 'read' your blazon and announce your arrival at tournaments and you'd be able to be recorded in the rolls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version