Main > The Armoury

Heraldic Design

<< < (25/27) > >>

Sir Brian:
That looks great! Well done! :)

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Page Aiden on 2014-06-21, 03:24:30 ---I think either this summer or the next, I will try to join a local SCA group near Philadelphia and submit my heraldry, that is if I decide that this is it.

--- End quote ---

So... I'll admit something now, I am a very picky person when it comes to designing something. Since my last update to my heraldry there was an essence to it that seemed to discomfort me, in the sense that something was off about the design. While at the MD Faire I went into a book shop and scrolled through a book about heraldry(I don't remember what the book was Titled). It talked about styles and purposes behind heraldic designs. One of the sections described how often an animal, such as a lion, would fill up as much space as possible on the ground it was on. So after comparing the initial art style to my stags art style, it didn't match up. That's when I realized it was the stag I found out of place in my heraldry. Not to say my stags art style didn't exist, it just wasn't popular for an early 12th/13th coat of arms. So my options at this point was to either ditch the stag, or redesign the whole thing. Seeing how I am not an artist, I decided to just ditch it. I'll instead incorporate it as a crest on a helm. Besides, I have found it much more appealing without it.

So here is an older design I considered once before, except compared to all my other ones this is a properly sized and proportioned crest. It's certainly more classical to the period and it's simple. Now, I considered having an ermine background on the white, behind the vert chevron. Only problem is, I don't know how to get it on there and have it look nice. I could just leave this the way it is of course, but if somebody is good at making heraldry I would be very appreciative if they could make the heraldry with the ermine.

Now, I realize that making it more simplistic will make it harder to pass for any future SCA purposes, but I can always make a desperate Coat of Arms if this doesn't pass.

Thoughts?

Sir Edward:

I think it looks great with the chevron! That's something that's often overlooked by people, is that the earlier heraldry tended to be more geometric and simple. And, as an added bonus, it's easier to paint on a shield. ;)

For the ermine, are you thinking an ermine field (lots of little ermines, some potentially intersecting the chevron), or just a few individual ermines in specific places around the chevron? It's possible these may make it look a lot more "busy", but sometimes you can be surprised.

On the SCA front, it's hard to say. Sometimes simple gets through just because most people tend to start with something complicated. Avoiding dragons and swords helps a lot here. :)

Sir William:
As with my own, Page Aiden.  I like it- congratulations!  As you can see, I'm horrible at photography, but you get the point.  In case you wondered, I had my shield done at oakheartarmory.com - good price, too.

Sir Rodney:
I like your new (old) idea of the chevron.  It has a classic, old school, heraldry feel too it.  I must admit that the stag pops as well, but reproducing it could prove to be a pain.  Trust me, I have a bonnacon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version