Main > The Armoury

Riveted Maille Aventail

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, any time you join triangles instead of doing expansions, it's really obvious where the pattern shifts. Your eye gets drawn to the seams. With proper expansion rings, the pattern is continuous and uninterrupted.

Sir Ulrich:
Duke Icefalcon offers brass wedge riveted maille. Perhaps you could ask him to get you an aventail made out of it as a custom order. Might take a while but if you can wait I'm pretty sure he could.

Sir Brian:
I'm leaning towards Master Knuut's welded stainless steel aventail. He has them in stock and they are reasonably priced.  ;)

B. Patricius:
you know Sir Brian, from five feet away or more, which is a nice distance with strangers at faires and such  ;D I have a hard time seeing riveted vs butted vs welded and I know what to look for!  I'm a fan of welded, sure it's new, but man can they be strong, and stainless?! "forgettaboutit!"

btw, in honor of Sir Wolf always pestering me about personal pictures, it dawned on me I had these from last Christmas and thought I'd share them here:
it's me in my butted mail coif for a Gallowglass impression.  My lady figured out how to get it to lay properly at the angles, it's four hexagons seamed together  :o of course it took me about a dozen different tries and ideas before I listened to her  ;D

it'd be the only time I'd recommend doing the "triangle" technique of expansions, and even then, it's for a deliberate purpose.  The basic expansions that I described earlier, they aren't that difficult to get once you get going so to speak, they're really coming in handy on my chausses

Hope you're happy Sir Wolf  :P ;D

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Sir Brian,
Marcus of Cap-a-pie is an acquaintance of mine.He used to offer a mail tailor service.  ;)
G. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version