Main > The Armoury

Riveted Maille Aventail

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir William:
Cap-a-pie?  I've ogled their wares for the better part of a year now...good looking stuff.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2013-05-14, 17:29:29 ---Sir Brian,
Marcus of Cap-a-pie is an acquaintance of mine.He used to offer a mail tailor service.  ;)
G.
--- End quote ---

Good to know and thanks Sir Gerard! Does he actually make all his maille? I will send him an inquiry. Although I am a bit conflicted as I think I will have to decide upon one major purchase for the remainder of this year (budget cuts and sequestration, etc.) and I’m leaning more towards finally getting my wisby gauntlets not only for my kit but WMA as well.  :-\

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-05-16, 11:50:51 --- I’m leaning more towards finally getting my wisby gauntlets not only for my kit but WMA as well.  :-\

--- End quote ---

mmm, that's a tough one Sir Brian.  I know it doesn't mean much, but I'd go with the gauntlets personally.  As you already stated the functionality of them really comes in handy.  They're being allowed for SCA combat now too, since people have been hiding good padding between the glove and the plates  ;)  I desperately need my hands, but I've always loved those gaunts.  Now, I can have both and breathe easy.

Also, have you heard of 3turretsarmoury?  He's a small shop (one guy) out of Ontario, CA that has been making a storm over on the AA with his Wisby gauntlets.  He also sells them in kit form, but the steel parts are already formed, planished and polished! 

That may be a way for you to cut the costs.  It's the route I'm going, if anything because I enjoy creating my own kits but I don't have the means to work with steel at the moment.  Here's a link, directly to his kits: http://3turretsarmoury.info/Wisby-Gauntlet-Kit-001.htm Like I said, he's a small shop, and when I first found him I wasn't sure until I realized who he was on the AA.

Sir Brian:
Thanks for the link B. Patricius. I had them in my ‘armor favorites’ for awhile now and his kit is a good deal monetarily but one should also consider the time required to complete the project which I have a lot less of and personal experience has shown me hand stitching leather is never fun.  :-\

So I’m leaning more towards this Armorer:
http://www.crimsonforge.com/
I haven’t made any serious inquiries about production times or anything but I do like the look and pricing of their products.  :)

B. Patricius:
Sounds fair enough to me!  After doing something once, it's always easier to say "nah, I'll pay someone else now!" in case it didn't work out quite as fun.  Still a character building experience according to my Dad, but if it isn't fun, I'm definitely a fan of just getting it over and done with too.  I'm also grateful for my earlier kit... mittens are far less complicated than fingered gloves  ;)

great looking gloves btw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version