Main > The Armoury

Riveted Maille Aventail

(1/7) > >>

Sir Brian:
I am sorely tempted to replace my aventail on my bascinet with a more authentic/expensive riveted aventail; however the pickings are a bit slim. Anyone have any recommendations? – Oh did I mention I want mine all flat brass riveted rings? – Just because I like to be different AND difficult. ;)

I have a line on getting the brass rings and if I must I’ll make my own but only if I can’t buy or commission it for a reasonable price, less than $300.00

Sir James A:
I haven't seen any in brass before, but there's a few places you can get riveted brass rings (Historic Enterprises is where I got mine - Cap-A-Pie also has them). Just a heads up, the Historic Enterprises brass rings come with steel rivets and not brass; don't know why and they're so tiny you can't see, but just wanted to disclaim that.

Have you thought about a regular mild steel riveted one, painted with brass colored paint?

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-05-10, 14:01:59 ---I haven't seen any in brass before, but there's a few places you can get riveted brass rings (Historic Enterprises is where I got mine - Cap-A-Pie also has them). Just a heads up, the Historic Enterprises brass rings come with steel rivets and not brass; don't know why and they're so tiny you can't see, but just wanted to disclaim that.

Have you thought about a regular mild steel riveted one, painted with brass colored paint?
--- End quote ---

Hey thanks for the heads up on Cap-A-Pie! I didn’t know about them. They also have the steel rivets but do offer the brass in 6mm rings so I might go for them.  :)

I don’t think the paint would work since maille is self-cleaning and would likely rub off any paint.  :-\

Then again it might be cheaper and faster if I just work with an entire sheet of maille, sure it’s welded but certainly less time consuming and reasonably priced to boot. ;)
http://mailletec.com/node/67

Sir Wolf:
a sheet of mail won't help you with an aventail. you need to make expanding rows to the rows will flair out and make a circle. i haven't seen a entire brass one before. just brass edges

Sir Edward:

This doesn't help with the brass issue, but one way to do an aventail is to cut down a coif. It's mostly the same thing anyway, with the helm replacing the upper part of the coif.

It might be easier to do that and then brass-edge it with a few rows or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version