Main > The Armoury

Riveted Maille Aventail

<< < (3/7) > >>

Sir Wolf:
i always hated the 5 triangles at the top. i always did it the other way. made the expanding rows from the very center. ;)

Sir James A:
Since you're doing an aventail, and not a coif, the top expanding rows don't matter. You can get some outer expansion by having the rows at the helmet pulled in tightly and leaving the bottom loose, but not a whole lot - think of it as tightening the top of a mail fauld.

I think a sheet could be very useful. What I would do is get the sheet as wide as the bottom row of links, figure out the contraction ratio you want, and then start to cut a "wedge" at even intervals around the sheet, from top to almost the bottom. Then go back and close them up as contraction rows. Instead of working "forwards" by trying expansion rows, work "backwards" with contractions.

So start with this:

------------------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Then kinda like this:

--  --  --  -- --  --  --  --  --
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Row by row, of course, but that's the gist of it. Then you'll be closing up those wedges you cut out by passing the lower part of the link through 1 extra link than the row above it; 1 top 2 bottom, or 2 top 3 bottom.

It'll still be tedious, but not as much as doing it from scratch.

Sir Brian:
...OR...
As a variation of your earlier suggestion Sir James, I could get a steel riveted coif/aventail and then have it brass plated locally! ;)

Sir Wolf:
i think we have a wiener. err winner

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-05-11, 17:16:00 ---...OR...
As a variation of your earlier suggestion Sir James, I could get a steel riveted coif/aventail and then have it brass plated locally! ;)

--- End quote ---

da-da-duh!  ;D
why hadn't we thought of that sooner!? any chance does electroplating work on something as complex as riveted mail?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version