Main > The Armoury

Spurs

<< < (3/7) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
How much do gilded ones cost? Cause I was thinking of getting them in bronze because I saw old ones at DoK and they were all copper alloy, Personally I really like the color of bronze over brass for some reason, I am just not sure how period it is. I do like the ones with the stars as well but I think I might just go for prick spurs as they can be period until about 1400.

Sir Wolf:
cool

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-03-21, 08:11:39 ---How much do gilded ones cost? Cause I was thinking of getting them in bronze because I saw old ones at DoK and they were all copper alloy, Personally I really like the color of bronze over brass for some reason, I am just not sure how period it is. I do like the ones with the stars as well but I think I might just go for prick spurs as they can be period until about 1400.
--- End quote ---

Well there was a lot of symbolism associated with a knight’s spurs that many historical and more modern (SCA) knighting ceremonies elaborate on. A knight’s spurs were gilded (gold) not to show off a knight’s station but to reflect the disdain a knight should have for material things which coincides with that whole largesse aspect of chivalry. A squire’s spurs were silver and a man-at-arms was made of iron. Therefore even those humble and poor knights of the various military Orders would still have worn gilded spurs.  ;)

Sir William:
Oh!  So I'm just a man-at-arms, is it?  ;)

Sir Brian:
Shop smart! Shop S-mart!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version