Main > The Armoury

Tailoring my maille.

<< < (3/13) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Heres my custom tailored gambeson, over my maille hauberk. Thing I realized is the twisty tie measurements I made fit nearly the same as the gambeson over the maille hauberk. In theory if I cut using the gambeson as a guide it should work as a base to tailor my maille. I still think I should leave a little more room than the gambeson alone but it does give me a general idea on what to cut off and what to keep. Only issue I got is the armpits, I have no clue how to begin that at all. I am starting by using a red sharpie to mark what rings I am going to cut off then cut the rings one by one off the hauberk then seal it up with some rings I purchased from Hanwei. I need about 150 rings to do it and I got 500 useable ones and 500 solid ones that wont work at all.

So I built an "arm" out of foam old steel cans a paint roller and duct tape. I measured my arms with the gambeson on circumference of the largest points to the smallest and made the "arm" with the same circumferences.  Then I taped it together with using a pair of old steel beverage cans I had lying around my room and a paint roller my dad gave me, which acted as the "bones" with the foam as my flesh and gambeson. I plan to put it through the sleeves of the maille so I have a 3d way of tailoring the maille to know if it fits for sure. I am making it a little larger though so in case I dont remove too much.

Needless to say I hope this method works, I find it very hard if not impossible to tailor maille flat in a 2D fashion which stopped me from ever trying it in the past. I already marked all the rings I plan to cut out with a red sharpie. Tomorrow when my hands are less abrased and rubbed raw from fiddling with the maille I plan to cut and seal up the seam, I plan to do the same to the other arm as well. Still unsure if I should remove the twisty ties and just go with the measurements on the "arm" fully cause I dont have any on the other arm AT ALL, though it might be too late cause I already marked the rings.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-04-03, 22:08:09 ---I honestly think I could do this if I had something to PUT inside on the arm with my gambeson over it. Like a mannequin arm or something. If my parents werent so anal about me asking ANY favors...
--- End quote ---

Ulrich, I notice that whenever you refer to your parents, it is usually in a derogatory fashion; I wonder if they get that 'vibe' from you when you speak to them.  As a parent, I can tell you this- if my kids approached me with that sort of attitude, my response would be pretty similar to your parents'.  Here's why- it probably isn't that they don't want to help you, it is probably the way you asked.  And if they tell you no, it helps not to have a bad attitude- I don't know you that well, but just from little I have observed, it sounds like you don't really appreciate your parents, despite being 20 years-plus old and still living at home.  They aren't there just to wait on you hand and foot- they're people too, man.  They have dreams and aspirations just like you do.  I'm willing to bet that if you were to show more courtesy, some appreciation of your parents, they in turn would probably be more willing to aid you in your endeavors.  I could be totally wrong, but I don't think I am.  A little food for thought, my friend.

Sir Edward:

That's a really good point, Sir William. I think when I was growing up, I didn't realize how much my own approach was coloring how people treated me, including my own parents. It's easy to fall into the "angst-driven teenager" sort of thing.

Perception is everything.

Sir James A:
I echo Sir William and Sir Edward's thoughts. Your dad was nice when I met him at DoK, let him know that he can't do anything that will break or mangle or make the mail unusable. It just might take more than one try - and if you get it on the first try, that's rare.

Cool idea on the arm.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-04, 15:03:35 ---
That's a really good point, Sir William. I think when I was growing up, I didn't realize how much my own approach was coloring how people treated me, including my own parents. It's easy to fall into the "angst-driven teenager" sort of thing.

Perception is everything.

--- End quote ---

Thanks; I had the same experiences as a kid.  I think all teens go through it, as a rite of passage if you will.  One thing that stuck with me, among all of the other things they've told me that have also stuck with me, is this:

"You may not like it now, but one day- you'll thank me."

Truer words were never spoken; can't tell you how many instances where my parents told me what the outcome would be but I just had to find out for myself.  Hard knocks indeed.

Having grown up and having had kids of my own, I truly appreciate the sacrifices, the advice- everything they did to give me all of the tools I'd need to succeed on my own.  Amazing how I'll run into a situation and something they'd told me as a youth turns out to be prophetic.

So much so, that even now, at 40, I'll still ask them about things I'm unsure of just because my experience has been that not only do they know, but will often have a bit of wisdom to impart that will ultimately make whatever it is go easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version