Main > The Armoury

New hauberk arrived

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I am going to Home Depot today to pick some simple green up to clean off this hauberk. One thing I DID notice is the sleeves taper ever so slightly and it goes down PAST my knees and it's also a larger size. How long should I soak it?

Sir James A:
About an hour, then check if it's clean, if it's not, give it another 15 min and check it again. If it's not coming clean well, try to rub / shake it a bit in the simple green & water or wipe it off with a cloth while still soaking. Once it's clean, make sure it's really dried well. The oven thing is a good idea. Tons of tiny crevices in every rivet for moisture to hide and start to rust from. Once dry, oil it with whatever you can use that won't give you allergic reactions; RemOil is at Walmart and has been working well for me.

Sir Ulrich:
I had to clean it by hand because it wasnt working as well as I had expected. My hands are dry and raw from the abrasion and I noticed some rivets came out but they werent even set properly (IE smooshed) now to find a source for wedge rivets and a riveting tool. Thankfully I got it all clean and I threw it in the oven for an hour on 200 degrees, hopefully that will dry it. I'm hesitant to put oil on it because I dont like greasy maille. Any other viable options for rust protection? I was thinking floor polish but that would take a bit of work. Oil is just annoying and messy.

Sir Ulrich:

Got it clean and dried, this is how it fits me, I like it a LOT better than my old one. Only issue is the sleeves being too baggy which I gotta remedy via tailoring. Around the chest it's a bit loose but it fits better than my old one by far and didnt tear ANY threads on my gambeson AT ALL, as I expected. I much prefer this maille to my older stuff. Did notice a few rivets came out while washing it, I just gotta get wedge riveted rings and a tool now, thats going to be hard...

Thorsteinn:
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version