Main > The Armoury

New hauberk arrived

<< < (5/7) > >>

Lord Dane:
Too bad washing maille doesn't shrink it slightly to fit properly too. LOL  ;D

Sir James A:
IceFalcon or KOA should have wedge riveting tongs. You can also check with Lone Wolf Chainmail; I recently got a set of pliers from him ($25?) and it comes with 200 rings and [bond voice] rivets, wedge rivets [/bond]. They're pretty good, padded grips, very modern looking pliers of course, but functionally work great and not as uncomfortable as the other IceFalcon ones I have. Got them to do some brass trim rings, which are apparently only available as wedge rivets... but I digress... let me know if you can't find his contact info, I contacted him through the ArmourArchive

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah it was a pain to wash, I spent at least 4 hours doing it by hand. Actually am still sore from it. Should I cut a horseman's slit in the front and back? Also debating on oiling it, but it hasnt rusted yet cept a small patch which I am not even sure if it was there beforehand, it's so thin that I can scrape it with my fingernail and it's gone.
Yeah I would like his contact info, I kinda need it because I dont want to modify it until I got wedge riveted rings. Icefalcon doesnt offer the kind I want.

Sir James A:
His screen name is "LWCM" on ArmourArchive, shoot him a PM

Fresh rust will be thin like that

Sir William:
Ulrich, it looks good on you, man.  I'd cut the slit in front and back (did it for mine, makes walking and sitting easier too, less like a skirt) whether or not you plan on riding in it.

Here's the thing about mild steel- it requires upkeep.  Remember that thing I was telling you about surface rust?  Well there's a whole helluva lot more surface area on a hauberk than there is on a breastplate or cuirass- so keeping your maille oiled is actually the best practice to pursue.  If you find it to be too much of a hassle, then you'll eventually want to upgrade to a stainless hauberk as those are pretty rust resistant, or so I'm told.  I've not had any rust issues with mine, which I'm told is galvanized steel.  YMMV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version