Main > The Armoury

New hauberk arrived

(1/7) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well I bit the bullet and bought a new hauberk wedge riveted with solid links. Unfortunately it came SOAKED in oil. I am not sure how to remove it, sure I CAN try wiping it, but I am allergic to the oil and I keep sneezing non stop because of it. I HAVE to remove it, but I am NOT going to use soap and water because I don't want it to rust. Would denatured alcohol or acetone work to remove the oil without rust? I do like the solid link combo with it though, it makes it feel more studier, it also glides a LOT easier than my other hauberk and doesn't lock or catch together like my old hauberk did. Also dont notice any missing rivets yet.

Thorsteinn:
What will you use instead to keep it rust free? Something like the period solution of beeswax and olive oil or gun oil?

Sir Ulrich:
I have no clue in all honesty, my old maille didnt need that cause it was blackened already which protected it from rust. I am thinking of coating it in some natural oil and setting it on fire to blacken it so it looks more period.

Thorsteinn:
Blueings not hard with a bit of work & an oven.

Sir James A:
Sawdust and a bag, and tumble it around. If the sawdust comes out wet, add more sawdust until it stays dry.

Or if you're planning to burn & blacken it, maybe just do that with the oil that is on it already. No idea if you'd still be allergic if it's burned off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version