Main > The Courtyard

WMAW 2013

<< < (4/16) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-11-24, 13:57:37 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-11-22, 09:11:14 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-11-21, 22:41:04 ---
I think the booth prices for the trainers were not discounted. Albion often has done a 10% show price for their sharps though.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I think the REAL savings you would get from purchasing a trainer from either vendor would be a savings of TIME and shipping costs since you'd be purchasing a blade they made specifically to sell at the event.  ;)

--- End quote ---

And also a chance to "hands on" with one - what you like in appearance may not always feel right in the hand to you either. And that can be a very expensive experience!

--- End quote ---

That is another excellent point Sir James! I was doubly blessed that between Sir Edward and Josh, a fellow MASHS student, I was able to tryout and ‘feel’ the three primary candidates for me when I was shopping for my steel training sword! – i.e. Albion’s Meyer and Lichtenauer and A&A’s Fechterspiel.  ;)

Sir William:
Which was your favorite to wield?

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-11-28, 17:09:11 ---Which was your favorite to wield?
--- End quote ---

Why the one I purchased of course!  ;D
- The Meyer feels the best for me. Oddly enough all three blades are within an ounce or two of each other in weight but the Meyer feels so much better balanced that it seems noticeably lighter.  ;)

Sir Edward:
Here's me break-down of the three (all three of them are excellent, but have notable differences):

Albion Meyer: My favorite for drills and free-fencing, since it's the liveliest in feel. It's probably the best of the three for full-speed bouting, since it has a relatively light blade-presence with nice thick edges, and decent flex down near the "sweet spot" to absorb thrusts.

Albion Liechtenauer: This one is best suited to stage-combat and controlled drills, IMHO. It has a very realistic weight and balance, and the blade profile is designed to look and feel fairly real as well. That means it'll perform more like a sharp sword in the bind, and look good to an audience. The problem is that it has thin edges, so it can really hurt to get hit with.

A&A Fechterspiel: A little more blade presence, and slightly less flex, when compared to the Albion Meyer. Nice thick edges, but since it has a little less give, it can hit slightly harder. This is a mixed bag compare to the Meyer, since it's just fine to use in the same contexts, for the most part, but the extra stiffness makes it really good for practicing harnessfechten and doing half-swording. The Meyer is just flexible enough to make some of the half-swording stuff a little harder to do, and the Fechterspiel has just enough stiffness to work really well with it.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-11-28, 19:50:47 ---Here's me break-down of the three (all three of them are excellent, but have notable differences):

Albion Meyer: My favorite for drills and free-fencing, since it's the liveliest in feel. It's probably the best of the three for full-speed bouting, since it has a relatively light blade-presence with nice thick edges, and decent flex down near the "sweet spot" to absorb thrusts.

Albion Liechtenauer: This one is best suited to stage-combat and controlled drills, IMHO. It has a very realistic weight and balance, and the blade profile is designed to look and feel fairly real as well. That means it'll perform more like a sharp sword in the bind, and look good to an audience. The problem is that it has thin edges, so it can really hurt to get hit with.

A&A Fechterspiel: A little more blade presence, and slightly less flex, when compared to the Albion Meyer. Nice thick edges, but since it has a little less give, it can hit slightly harder. This is a mixed bag compare to the Meyer, since it's just fine to use in the same contexts, for the most part, but the extra stiffness makes it really good for practicing harnessfechten and doing half-swording. The Meyer is just flexible enough to make some of the half-swording stuff a little harder to do, and the Fechterspiel has just enough stiffness to work really well with it.

--- End quote ---

I'm partial to the Albion Kingslayer. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version