Main > The Courtyard

WMAW 2013

<< < (5/16) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2012-11-29, 09:12:17 ---I'm partial to the Albion Kingslayer. ;)

--- End quote ---

Uhm, then I'm not fencing with you. :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2012-11-29, 09:12:17 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-11-28, 19:50:47 ---Here's me break-down of the three (all three of them are excellent, but have notable differences):

Albion Meyer: My favorite for drills and free-fencing, since it's the liveliest in feel. It's probably the best of the three for full-speed bouting, since it has a relatively light blade-presence with nice thick edges, and decent flex down near the "sweet spot" to absorb thrusts.

Albion Liechtenauer: This one is best suited to stage-combat and controlled drills, IMHO. It has a very realistic weight and balance, and the blade profile is designed to look and feel fairly real as well. That means it'll perform more like a sharp sword in the bind, and look good to an audience. The problem is that it has thin edges, so it can really hurt to get hit with.

A&A Fechterspiel: A little more blade presence, and slightly less flex, when compared to the Albion Meyer. Nice thick edges, but since it has a little less give, it can hit slightly harder. This is a mixed bag compare to the Meyer, since it's just fine to use in the same contexts, for the most part, but the extra stiffness makes it really good for practicing harnessfechten and doing half-swording. The Meyer is just flexible enough to make some of the half-swording stuff a little harder to do, and the Fechterspiel has just enough stiffness to work really well with it.

--- End quote ---

I'm partial to the Albion Kingslayer. ;)

--- End quote ---

Kingmaker?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-11-29, 19:28:37 ---Kingmaker?

--- End quote ---

I make the same mistake all the time, so I didn't even catch that. :) Beautiful sword, but a little too deadly for fencing. :)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-11-29, 20:03:19 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-11-29, 19:28:37 ---Kingmaker?

--- End quote ---

I make the same mistake all the time, so I didn't even catch that. :) Beautiful sword, but a little too deadly for fencing. :)

--- End quote ---

Sorry yes, Kingmaker. I have 2 bastard swords in its design already. Guess it's my favorite. Very sharp & very agile, Sir Edward. I use them for cutting demos but if it came down to a fight, it's my choice for combat. :)

Joshua Santana:
In all fairness, I like Sir Brian have handled the Meyer, Liechtenauer and Fechterspiel.  They are fine trainers with their caveats and features.  However there a trainer that I know works for me.

Standing at 5'2" I would be more likely to use The Spada de Zogho.

I know most of Ye are thinking: "What?  A stiff steel bar for a trainer?" 

Now I know that the blade has a rectangular shape with a rectangular cross section, tip tapering to a square instead of a point, stiffer than a Fechterspiel, and wide edges.  The strength of this trainer is that its design helps it to withstand a Fechterspiel or any of the Albion trainers because of the mass structure.  This is a trainer I would feel comfortable with making swift parries and strong stable blocks a la Fiore style.  Plus, this trainer stands at exactly 46 3/8 inches, just about right for me (height wise).  So yes, beware I can easily stop any of you with a single thrust (the grandmaster of all blows, reciting Fiore)  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version