Main > The Armoury

Wedge riveted vs Dome riveted maille.

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah probably could get that and it would work. Only issue is now I want only half my rings riveted to minimize that from happening again. Maybe I could talk to Duke Icefalcon about exchanging my hauberk for a half solid link one? I really can't stand the rivets popping out all the time. Solid links don't have the issue with popping rivets or sharply peened rivets.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-18, 22:34:30 ---FI swear it's the tail end of the rivets thats causing it rather than the flat rings

--- End quote ---

Post a couple close-ups of various spots of your hauberk. If it's the tail end of the rivets doing that, it's on inside-out and you don't have the domed side on the inside - wedge would do the same. Unless they did a "mix and match" and it doesn't have an inside and outside... but the tail end of the rivets (the peened / rough side) should only be able to catch on garments when putting it on or taking it off.

Also, as far as I know, wedge riveted is the only style that has alternating solid rings. I haven't seen any pin riveted like that (which is what I wanted).

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, thats the thing I would of gotten the dome riveted with flat punched rings as well but they didnt sell it. Therion arms does now though I don't like the quality of GDFB's dome riveted, it's and much sharper than the icefalcon. So I'd say the GDFB wedge riveted is better than the GDFB dome riveted.

Here are some pics of mine, I did notice some rings were not riveted properly and I fixed them right now the sharp ends of the rings COULD of been what was causing that tear. Not sure though. I seriously want maille with the alternating solid links now.

Sir Ulrich:
Heres the link to the GDFB dome riveted with alternating solid links. http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1413.html

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-18, 23:24:41 ---So I'd say the GDFB wedge riveted is better than the GDFB dome riveted.
--- End quote ---

Agreed.

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-18, 23:24:41 ---Here are some pics of mine, I did notice some rings were not riveted properly and I fixed them right now the sharp ends of the rings COULD of been what was causing that tear. Not sure though. I seriously want maille with the alternating solid links now.

--- End quote ---

Good pictures. They look consistent, and from what I can tell in those pictures, it looks like all of those pictures are what should be the "inside" of the shirt - so if that's how you were wearing it, it was "inside-out". I'd give it another try.

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-18, 23:56:42 ---Heres the link to the GDFB dome riveted with alternating solid links. http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1413.html

--- End quote ---

Man, I *just* bought a haubergeon from KOA with all dome riveted links the week before DoK.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-10-18, 22:36:38 ---
Don't forget you can use "Fray-Check" (clicky: http://amzn.com/B000YQKIDY) if you need to. You can clip those threads out, dab a little bit of this stuff on, and it glues the threads together in that spot so it doesn't come apart.

--- End quote ---

I picked some up at Walmart a while ago, if you don't want to order it online. Useful stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version