Main > The Armoury

Improving my kit for Days of Knights.

<< < (6/16) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
The only problem with it is it's really tight, like SUPER tight, i'm not sure if I could fit it over my maille and my belt for my maille chausses. Shame really cause I really like the look better than that stupid frog I use that looks like something out of a BDSM store or a Hot Topic.

Sir Edward:

The problem with those triangular frogs is that they're not period. :) Also, they're not adjustable, in that they hold the sword in just one position.

The double-wrap is closer to period, and usually you can play with adjustments on them. If you need to add holes for the belt buckle, that's easy to do with a leather hole-punch. They're cheap and easy to use.

BTW, the loops that hold the scabbard should have the upper one going to the front of the belt, so that it prefers to slant the hilt forward. It looks like you should be able to just switch them around.

Having the waist-belt nice and snug is good, so it doesn't move around on you, but like I said, if you need to add a hole to let it out a little, that's not hard to accomplish. Though I see you don't have a lot of belt left, sticking out of the buckle.

Sir William:
Ulrich, generally speaking you'll want to stay away from frogs in general as they're not very historical, as you've been able to tell just by looking at it.  How you ended up with a lefty frog is anyone's guess.  I bought one of the Inner Bailey Swordbelt of the Circle options for my wedding, it isn't bad if you don't already have a scabbard set up with an integral rig.

If you're in need of a good beltrig, I'd send that Norman out to the Crusader Monk (www.crusadermonk.com) - he can build you a scabbard with an integral suspension system for around $200, and there's a good number of color and design options to choose from, including tooling, stamping and accent work under the leather itself.  He did my HT Bastard, including a custom grip (he can do that as well).  Now, he isn't completely historical in that he doesn't sew the back seam of the scabbard and he doesn't line them like some of the upper echelon scabbardmakers do but other than that, in looking at them, it is hard to tell the difference.  He currently has a one week turnaround time.  Here's mine:

Sir James A:
Sir William, that came out nicely. Congratulations.

Sir Ulrich:
That stuff you linked to Sir William, thats nice stuff. It's also in my price range more than the other custom stuff. I am considering getting my grip done as well as get a belt thats attached to the scabbard. I wonder if he could redo my Tinker scabbard for a cheaper price than the regular ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version